How do you book a private scan?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Postit Posts: 225
Hi :wv I am just over 5 weeks pregnant and have booked to go semi private in Holles Street, but I won't get scanned until 21 weeks. For peace of mind I would really like to get one earlier ( I have no symptoms at all still - not even sore boobs!). How do you go about booking a private scan? Can I go at any time? Thanks a million.
oirish Posts: 1541
If you wanted to get one done in Mount Carmel you just ring the main reception and ask to be put through to pregnancy ultrasound. you don't have to be a patient of Mount Carmel. I would wait until at least 7/8 weeks if you can though so that they can pick up the heartbeat for you, otherwise your head will be melted worrying. Im not sure how much it is now but when I was scanned early it was €160.
Thanks Oirish, I'll do that!
Dora the explorer Posts: 1570
I had one done on south william street on saturday was super pm me if you want details.
alton Posts: 3077
There are a couple of other places that do them - Charlemont Clinic and Blackrock Clinic. Some places require a letter of referral from your GP and prices vary so ring around. Also you can get 3D/4D scans done - I think that Paula Tunney does them in Swords and Rathgar though as far as I know they aren't a substitute for a medical scan. Alternatively, you can get your GP to check the baby's heartbeat with a doppler.
Thanks Alton. What's a doppler? How many weeks would I have to wait for that?
alton Posts: 3077
A doppler is a sort of like a mini ultrasound machine, but instead of seeing a visual image it picks up the heart beat of the baby. You can use them from about 8 weeks, although it can be hard at this stage to detect a heart beat and some would suggest waiting until about 14 weeks to try so that you don't freak yourself out wondering if there is something wrong. I believe that most GPs have them and you can also buy or rent them for home use. If you search for doppler on this site there are a good few posts on them. I hadn't heard of them at all and I haven't used one so maybe a more experienced poster can verify or correct the above. Hope that helps!
oirish Posts: 1541
I have a doppler that I got from medical site in UK. I was able to pick up the heartbeat at home from almost 11 weeks (I think). The gp's I know are sometimes reluctant to use a doppler that early in case they can't find the heartbeat (it would sometimes take me up to 20 mins to find the wee mite that early on!!) and they want to avoid panicing you. Some good suggestions for scans there too - hope you are happy with what you go for :)
bride22 Posts: 359
Purchased a doppler from and used it at 10 wks. Gr8 for getting the heartbeat