How Strict is the "One Birthing Partner" Rule?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Winterlights Posts: 310
I know I read somewhere in the literature that I received from my hospital that they only allow you to have one birthing partner. This seems a bit mean to me! Does this rule apply to the labour ward and the delivery room, or just the delivery? And has anyone ever managed to bend this rule and have more than one 'birthing partner?' I'm attending the Coombe.
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
I was in the coombe and only one partner allowed.
Mamaboom Posts: 2094
Eta that was in delivery.
Flower Girl Posts: 1645
I think most hospitals are pretty strict on this, I've been at deliveries in the Rotunda and Holles St. and never seen more than one birth partner there. Myself, I definitely wouldn't want anyone other than my husband there. Though I notice on OBEM they nearly always seem to have their mothers in the room as well - nightmare scenario in my book... :)
Silini2 Posts: 3834
And usually their husbands mothers and their grannies too!!!
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I'm actually delighted there's a one birthing partner rule in most hospitals! I cringe when I watch OBEM US and half the town is down at the business end watching and shouting and taking video footage. I'd have HATED anyone else besides DH being there for such a special moment. There's plenty of time for family and friends to see baby after the birth, enjoy the time when its just you three. I think it might be intrusive for other women to have visitors while on the labour ward, I didn't stay on one as I had a planned section but I can't imagine most people would want to deal with anyone else's visitors at that time.
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
I'd be advocating for a none-till-you're-about-to-pop option meself.
tilsun Posts: 4506
I always think that about OBEM too. And 16 and pregnant is worse :xxs I always ask myself who would it be worse to have in the delivery room, your own dad or your partners? I think the one partner rule is strict. I did ask on my first in the rotunda if there was an option to tag team. My DH was very nervous of the birth and he wanted to know if my mam could step in if he fainted or made a run for it. They said no,but I wonder in reality is there some scope to step in if its still just one person by the bed. I do think there should be some leniency in the delivery room, within reason. But I guess these things are hard to be flexible about while being fair to everyone. Cannot think they would allow more than one in a labour ward. It's bad enough if there's a load of visitors at another bed at the best of times.
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
That tag-team idea is a good suggestion, you'd think it would be workable. I found the flood of visitors on the day of the birth overwhelming. Definitely a queuing system needed there. Or a frying pan.
OrangeWine Posts: 100
Wouldn't want any one but DH there are such an erm intimate time. And at that it's the top end only. Ain't no one that needs see the aul vajay stretching.