Inviting priest to reception

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

COSMOPOLITAN Posts: 495
ok girls...need help, myself and H2B have not lived in our family homes for 10 and 12 years....I am getting married in my family parish church our current parish priest is marrying us(where we live now)and will be coming to reception, but my family parish priest is con celebrating as its his church and i guess he has too(or does he?)...i have not had any dealings with this priest in my adult life....do i have to invite him to reception?????? h2b family now also want to have their parish priest con celebrating also even tho he just moved to parish and we have never had dealings with him...what to do????
ozypozy Posts: 2950
We're going to invite the priest in my parents parish but he usually doesn't go as far as I know from other people. We're not inviting the priest from H2B's parish as its over two hours from where the wedding is and he's relatively new to the parish as well. We're living in a new parish now but I'm not sure about inviting the PP here as i haven't even met him yet but will have to get a letter of freedom off him..............Must think about that one! I've been no help at all to you sorry, but thanks for putting this in my head!
i know...this is all head wrecking!!!!!! O:|
ela28 Posts: 2552
[quote="COSMOPOLITAN":3cs3bjsl]ok girls...need help, myself and H2B have not lived in our family homes for 10 and 12 years....I am getting married in my family parish church our current parish priest is marrying us(where we live now)and will be coming to reception, but my family parish priest is con celebrating as its his church and i guess he has too(or does he?)...i have not had any dealings with this priest in my adult life....do i have to invite him to reception?????? h2b family now also want to have their parish priest con celebrating also even tho he just moved to parish and we have never had dealings with him...what to do????[/quote:3cs3bjsl] Cosmopolitan do whatever you're comfortable with,don't invite anyone because you feel you have to,it's your day,do whatever suits you and your h2b nobody else,you're bringing the priest that's marrying yous,imo there is no need to invite the other priests,you don't know them at all and are under no obligation to ask them to go to the reception if yous do not want to do so :wv
cax Posts: 258
Hi Girls, We have three priests. My parish priest, H2B parish priest and also H2B friend. Im wondering myself do we need to invite all three, obviously the friend will be coming and he is marrying us but im wondering if we invite all three to the meal will it look like we are on craggy island??? lol
[quote="hcatherine":28snykwi]Hi Girls, We have three priests. My parish priest, H2B parish priest and also H2B friend. Im wondering myself do we need to invite all three, obviously the friend will be coming and he is marrying us but im wondering if we invite all three to the meal will it look [size=150:28snykwi]like we are on craggy island[/size:28snykwi]??? lol[/quote:28snykwi] :o0 :o0
ela 28...thats exactly what i want to hear....def dont want h2b family parish priest concelebrating either....but think FMIL has alreay asked him even tho we said we did not want him O:| O:| O:| bloody weddings bring out the worst in people!!!!
[quote="hcatherine":1vmy777b]Hi Girls, We have three priests. My parish priest, H2B parish priest and also H2B friend. Im wondering myself do we need to invite all three, obviously the friend will be coming and he is marrying us but im wondering if we invite all three to the meal will it look like we are on craggy island??? lol[/quote:1vmy777b] lol "craggy island" no not at all hcatherine,it's a personal decision for everyone which priests,if any,they want at the reception,whether you have none,one or three there is nothing strange or craggy island about it :o0 you don't need to invite the three of them,it's not necessary,in saying that if you want them all there that's your choice and absolutely nothing wrong with it,hth :wv
[quote="COSMOPOLITAN":3akj7fqn]ela 28...thats exactly what i want to hear....def dont want h2b family parish priest concelebrating either....but think FMIL has alreay asked him even tho we said we did not want him O:| O:| O:| bloody weddings bring out the worst in people!!!![/quote:3akj7fqn] that's not fair on yous at all,family always has to stick their oar in,if she has not asked him yet I would make sure to get it across loud and clear that yous don't want him invited to the reception,actually I'd tell her anyway and let her sort the mess out,she shouldn't be inviting people that yous have said yous don't want there!!
cax Posts: 258
well it wouldnt be my choice, its himself!! I wouldnt mind if he went to mass on sundays but doesnt now he wants a contingent of priests there! :o0 Anything for a quiet life eh girls???