job don't pay maternity leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Little Kitty Posts: 914
Hi I'm just wondering if any of your jobs don't pay maternity benefit? Mine doesn't (I only recently found this out!). I'm not pregnant but I am wondering when I do eventually plan to have children how in Gods name will I cope without pay!!! I'm just curious to know if any of you are in/will be in the same boat? How are you coping? Did you just change jobs? Hope you don't mind me posting such a nosey post!!! Thanx :thnk
DublinGal Posts: 151
Hi Septbride, my job don't pay maternity, well they do if you are employed for 4 years of more, I will be here 2 yrs when I take maternity. We'll just have to tighten our belts a bit. At least we'll be getting 280 per week from the state, its better than nothing.
mama sugar Posts: 1387
hi septbride and dublin gal, I am not sure yet if my company pay maternity...with the goings on at the moment I am just presuming that they won't pay me. Although I am here over 6 years. If you decide to leave your job septbride it will be hard at interview stage to ask do you pay maternity leave...it is usually written in their company policy, however if it is a small company like mine they don't even have a company policy. So what we are going to have to do is tighten our belts when baby is born like dublingal. We will get €280 a week - €1120 a month from social welfare you get €160 a month for child benefit (up to age of 16) you get €1000 a year early child benefit (first 6 years) then transfering your tax credits to your husbands means he will hopefully have more coming home each week...everything helps! so just on payment alone I will be getting €1364 approx a month there will be a drop of over €700 a month but you will save on petrol and that sort of thing. The main thing is I want to be around for the first 6 months of the babies life even though things are going to be really tight it is just something we will have to live with. x
Hi Dublingal I personally think it's a bit mean this day in age, what do you think? I have to say I never came across it before. Is it €280 a week in full or are you taxed on that? I know it's better than nothing but still, it feels a little like we're being discriminated against because we're women or am I being too harsh here???
you sound like you know your stuff mama sugar! I would never have know about transferring tax credits etc. It's very useful info to have. We don't have a HR dept or co policy either so I can definately sympatise with you there!
corkrebel Posts: 744
My job did not pay up to about a week ago..so all along I was thinking along the lines that we would have to survive on social benefit.... the €280 a week is tax free and you get this for 26 weeks ... we are just saving like mad at the moment and I am lucky that my SSIA matures in April ... as i have to return to work for 6 months before they will pay me a lump sum ( diff of what my gross wage is less the €280 pw)....so I cannot complain... I think that it is more the norm not to get any top up from your employer to be honest.... it is hard to juggle as your mortgage etc does not change and a little person brings so much expense too .... O:o)
DublinGal Posts: 151
I do think it is really mean. We had a company conference a few weeks ago, one of the topics was Changes to maternity policy. I nearly peed my pants I was so excited. But turns out they were introducing it but have to be here 4 yrs, I was so let down. I haven't changed my tax status to married yet, plan on doing it next month, when hubby gets his p60. anyway he was a student garda last year, was getting about 140pwk, and we survived on that plus my wages(barely). Now the tables will be turning, I will be earning low and he will be back on to normal wages by the time the baby arrives. Just wish I could live comfortably for a while. We are very lucky tough, have a lovely house and baby on the way. It will all be worth the struggle!!!!! While I am on it, creche fees!!!! When I am back working, 50% of my wages will be gone on that so I will be coming out with thereabouts the same, as when I am on leave. Rant over. >:o(
wedjul05 Posts: 5673
septbride07, I am really lucky in that the company I work for pay 100% of my salary while on maternity leave. The double bonus for me is that I work shift and they even pay my full shift premium also! Sweet for me. I need however to get pregnant first. Easier said than done!! Being trying for 3/4 months now.
clucky Posts: 26471
mine dont :o( fkrs broke this news to hubby yesterday he nearly died - he thought legally they have to bless him
[quote:2oxp0aye]broke this news to hubby yesterday he nearly died - he thought legally they have to bless him[/quote:2oxp0aye] My H2B though the exact same, it's all very confusing but tbh I don't think any company is going to put themselves in a position where they will be breaking the law so had to convince him that they are within their rights not to pay out. I still think it's incredibly mean though.