Late Late about working mothers

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

gogogirl Posts: 1071
Aparantly commuting and having a childminder damages your children. I'm sick of society telling me what I either am doing wrong or will do wrong in the future. arggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Mrs. Taz Posts: 1216
I know, its pathetic. DH just text in to say that the working week should be decreased and that nowadays we can't afford to be at home so we have no choice. O:|
bingowings Posts: 1388
I don't envy any parent having to juggle long hours at work, commuting, child care, kids and mortgages. Its not an easy life. Don't let it piss you of gogo
bingowings Posts: 1388
Sorry no edit function O:| I re-read my post and it didn't come across well. What I was trying to say is that modern living is very difficult and very stressful, and sure, while its grand for someone to go on the Late Late and say all these things, its not the reality for lots of couples.
Hepburn Posts: 4081
Don't worry about it gogo... Everyone has to do what they have to do to get along. I firmly believe it is about quality time, not quantity. It's what you do with your kids when you are together that's important.
mad woman Posts: 22106
[quote="Nantes":sd6ihfm0] Everyone has to do what they have to do to get along. I firmly believe it is about quality time, not quantity. It's what you do with your kids when you are together that's important.[/quote:sd6ihfm0] do you something nantes, I couldnt agree more with you there. we always make sure that we spend time with kids at the weekends and they get their stories at bedtime and we chat about their day in school in the evening. its always can give a child a good aspect on life, knowing that they have to work when they grow up.
luigi Posts: 867
[quote="gogogirl":2dvdmhgt]Aparantly commuting and having a childminder damages your children.[/quote:2dvdmhgt] I'd say I'm rocking the boat on here when I say I totally agree that long commutes to work and childcare most likely [b:2dvdmhgt]do[/b:2dvdmhgt] have more of a negative impact on our children than a positive one. (there are positives too though dont get me wrong) Im using a childminder, and DS will be full time with her in 2 months so I do not have anything against working mums but it would be unrealistic to think that leaving children with another caretaker would be a fully positive experience for them. DS is beginning to become aware when I leave the room and it isnt pleasant for him to see his mummy disappear out the door for a day. The way life is now its not worth getting upset about features like this on shows. We all know that it isnt the best solution for our children so it means that quality time really does become quality time like Nantes says and you just try your hardest to make your little ones feel secure and loved in the time you get along with them.
Skippy Posts: 1834
FFS! That is so annoying. O:| O:| I am in the lucky position in that I won't be working when the baby comes. But we live in Rural Australia and our 3 bdrm house cost us 99,500 euros. We have no problem covering that mortgage but house prices in Ireland are so bloody ridiculous at the moment how are parents supposed to afford to live and have kids too if both are not working? If we moved home we would have to sell the two investment properties my husgand had as well as the house we live in and use up our savings in order for us to afford a 3 bdrm house and have me stay at home. But where is our future security? Gone to the pocket of some rich developer. I mean I know people down here where we live who work full time but they have pools and widescreen tv, four wheel drives and 2nd cars too! We don't, but that means I can stay at home, for as long as I want or need to. I will be starting a temping job next week but I can finish that up when I get closer to my due date. I am very lucky. But that is just not the reality in Ireland, in order to just own a house and a car both parents have to be working and commuting is inevitable as who the hell can afford to live in any city in Ireland now? How dare they make poor working mums and dads feel guilty? There is no point in going on those shows, spouting that kind of thing if they have no answer to it, just shut the f**k up. And what about kids that had stay at home mums in the eighties when I was a kid? Did they really have it better? Because you can still be abused and mistreated as a child, whether or not both parents work. If you love your child then your child will grow up happy and confident and I firmly believe that. I just can't be arsed getting out of bed early in the morning and I am not going to do it if I don't have to :o0 :o0 :o0 Well until they are a bit older and i'll want to start earning my own money again.
pattie Posts: 2379
In fairness David Coleman didn't seem to be criticising parents, rather the way modern Ireland has ended up and the fact that parents mostly don't have a choice about the long hours and the commute. He was pointing out that it can be really hard for parents to have quality time with their kids if everyone gets home late and there's still washing to do, etc. He was trying to give some pointers on how parents can still make quality time for their kids even with a hectic schedule. In the end he said it's about being good enough as nobody can be the perfect parent. He's very much on the side of parents and families from what I've seen of him, offers only constructive criticism.
strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
well maybe if house prices werent so firggin high people wouldnt have to commute