Looking for some advice

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Italy07 Posts: 5409
Hi guys, Its been a while since I was pregnant so can't really remember. But a very close friend of mine has had some previous complications and is expecting again but has had a bit of a bleed, she has an appointment to have a scan but will only be just between 6-7 weeks, will they be able to see a heart beat this early!!!! Thanks
Mrs.slightly bonkers Posts: 3289
Hi italy07. Its also been a while since I was pregnant and just to reply cause no one else is about.As far as i know it is a heart beat they look for this early.Hth.
newone Posts: 1714
happyfeet Posts: 1316
Hi i also had a scan at 7 weeks and the heartbeat was the only thing we could see! It was amazing! :lvs Good luck for your friend :wv
Thanks girls, was thinking that pretty much couldn't been seen but was just hoping that they would be able to see a heart beat to put her mind at rest!
jellybaby Posts: 2316
I had a scan at 7w 1d and saw the heartbeat. Up to 8 weeks or so, it will be an internal scan. Just to say though, that while everyone who has replied did see the heartbeat, it can happen that they don't see it, but it doesn't mean anything is wrong. The heart starts beating a certain number of days (can't remember the exact number) after implantation, and some people implant earlier than others, so it may still be a little early. They'll let her know this though if they don't see a heartbeat and reschedule another scan. Hope all goes well...
Sleep Monster Posts: 2829
I had scan at seven weeks too and saw / heard a heartbeat. Amazing! :lvs Mine wasn't internal. I think the decision to do external or internal can be based on your weight and the limitations of the equipment used. A heartbeat should be present at 7 weeks, but a less sophisticated scanner might not pick it up. The embryonic heart starts beating 22 days after conception, or about five weeks after the last menstrual period, which by convention we call the fifth week of pregnancy. The heart at this stage is too small to hear, even with amplification, but it can sometimes be seen as a flickering in the chest if an ultrasound is done as early as four weeks after conception. Best of luck to your friend.
Thankfully she had a scan today and everything seems fine!! and they could see a heart beat. Thanks again for your replies!!
Unfortunately things didn't work out again for her, she miscarried last night! Really feeling it for her now, she has been through the mill and some people are being very insensative saying sure you already have one at home, is that suppose to make it better! Some people! >:o( >:o(
silíní Posts: 4219
Aww no i'm so sorry to hear that.... Sending her lots of positive thoughts..... S