Mad random sexism - Page 2

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Dollydel Posts: 1726
Yep OTT Mam had to adopt me. Its so stupid. And I am forever having problems with Revenue and the one time I did claim sick benefit from social welfare they nearly had CAB after me over my two PPS numbers, told me I was commiting fraud by having two.. it was the stupid state that gave them to me! O:|
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
[quote:l0tgnqbx]fmh62 wrote: But cabbagehead remember women had to give up work once they got married way back in the day so maybe that's why. [/quote:l0tgnqbx] I vaguely remembering hearing that. When was it though?? Two of my aunts who were nurses worked after they were married and had children. I think the no working rule was way way back and in relation to civil servants?? My DHs grandmothers worked when they had children to. I don't know of anyone that [i:l0tgnqbx]had[/i:l0tgnqbx] to give up work except my mothers mother (get it? - my maternal grandmother) because they were both civil servants i.e. she was a nurse and he was a Garda. It was a very patriarchal (sp) society though.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
[quote="fmh62":13mvu0ni]But cabbagehead remember women had to give up work once they got married way back in the day so maybe that's why.[/quote:13mvu0ni] Did the marriage bar extend into the 80s? I thought that was done away with in the 70s?? And wasn't that just in the civil service? Yera sure it's neither here nor there I suppose, I just got all annoyed on behalf of my superhero feminist glass-ceiling-shattering Mammy being reduced to just "the little wife".
Dollydel Posts: 1726
Cabbagehead (feel kinda bad calling you that) my cousin had a baby before Christmas in England and she isn't married to the babys father and the rigmarole she had to go through to get the baby a passport to come home to Ireland for Christmas was mental because she couldn't get his name on the birth cert, then in the head she didn't even need a passport for the baby.
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
[quote="MrsDodders":7rbu3ewv][quote:7rbu3ewv]fmh62 wrote: But cabbagehead remember women had to give up work once they got married way back in the day so maybe that's why. [/quote:7rbu3ewv] I vaguely remembering hearing that. When was it though?? Two of my aunts who were nurses worked after they were married and had children. I think the no working rule was way way back and in relation to civil servants?? My DHs grandmothers worked when they had children to. I don't know of anyone that [i:7rbu3ewv]had[/i:7rbu3ewv] to give up work except my mothers mother (get it? - my maternal grandmother) because they were both civil servants i.e. she was a nurse and he was a Garda. It was a very patriarchal (sp) society though.[/quote:7rbu3ewv] My mother had to give up work when she got married in the early 70's and she worked in the bank.
Wilma Flintstone Posts: 1262
[quote="dollydoo":dwwv251y]My biological father wasn't named on my original birth cert so my mothers details are on it but wait until you hear this... My mam got married (not to my biological father) So for me to have the same surname as my mam, she and my step dad had to 'adopt' me. So I have an adoptive birth certificate with my mam and my step dad both adopting me. [b:dwwv251y]I wonder if it is still the same now? [/b:dwwv251y]That was back in the early 90's when my biological mam had to adopt me! O:| So I have two birth certs and I actually have two PPS numbers too.[/quote:dwwv251y] It is. I looked into it last year for dd, the reason is the childs biological mother is sole guardian (if parents aren't married obviously) so to become joint parents and have the same amount of rights the mother has to give up her sole rights and the 2 of them sign it. Ridiculously complicated!!