Menu

Midweek - Public V Private

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

dhidra Posts: 3147
On Midweek tonight they're looking at public V private antenatal care. 10pm on TV3.
marles Posts: 1397
Thanks Dhidra,I've it set to record.I hope it is better than some of the other Midweek shows which have been on recently.
Ilovetoast Posts: 2267
thanks so much!!! i havnt a clue about this stuff!!
ructions Posts: 2689
No doubt we'll hear about Colette Fitzpatrick's complaint that she didn't get her private room straight away... I think she was very naive to expect a private room in a public hospital. As for "being brought to another hospital" - what planet was she on?! Dublin maternity hospitals are bursting at the seams! http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/arou ... 86442.html
dhidra Posts: 3147
Yeah marles I've only seen one or two and they weren't great. sunshiner, thanks for the link. Will be interesting to see what she says tonight.
SookieStackhouse Posts: 3135
Found it very disappointing. It was only on public v private for 20 mins and they moved onto a report of gay fostering! All the panellists just seemed to complain about both options and homebirthing came out on top :eek Nuts.
BallerinaBride09 Posts: 610
Agree HandyMammy - I thought their choice of panelists was very poor as it didn't represent a balanced view. I would have liked to hear from a consultant (representing private / semi-private care), a mid wife (representing public / DOMINO scheme), ideally from different hospitals, and someone completely independent but informed which the 3rd speaker was, but she wasn't given much time. Also was it just me or did the whole show look like it was shot in the 70s?!!!!!
MrsBuck Posts: 846
i was very disappointed with it too - i thought it was very unbalanced. I am expecting my first baby and was really looking forward to the programme giving me some information. I have decided to go private and was hoping to hear experiences from mums who had gone the same route. I thought it was very pro public - i mean surely not every single person in the country has had a bad experience going private? I also felt that the third speaker was barely allowed to make a comment and i am sure that she would have had some good views to put across had she been allowed to.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
It wasn't so much pro-public as anti-private and was on the whole very unbalanced. BallerinaBride, you should have been producing the show! That would have made for a far more interesting and instructive debate. It was an opportunity lost as far as I could see. I didn't know about the Colette Fitzpatrick thing..... Probably explains their rather insulting presumption that private patients expect a private room and are invariably disappointed. I don't think that in this day and age any private patient (especially in Dublin maternity hospitals) is under the illusion that they will definitely get their private room. Unless they are completely deluded or know nothing about the Irish hospital system in the first place. I am going private and made my choice fully informed that it comes with no guarantees as regards delivery experience. I don't know or care if I get my private room or whether my consultant will be present. Midwives are extremely competent professionals and whatever happens so be it. It is the continuity of care that I want in going private and that I will get.
BallerinaBride09 Posts: 610
[quote="Delphinium":1hps7l9h] BallerinaBride, you should have been producing the show! [/quote:1hps7l9h] Thanks Delphinium!! It's such a minefield for new mothers and they didn't even scratch the surface of the differences and choices in care. I also found it very frustrating to hear the debate focus almost entirely on whether or not you get a private room if you go private - there is much more to antenatal care than the accommodation you receive after you give birth, it has to be one of the least important issues influencing your choice. As you say Delphinium, the main reason to go private is continuity of care. That point was made by the third speaker, but it was lost amongst other useless subjective info. I think it would be a good idea to have a sticky for each hospital on this thread, where new mums can succinctly explain their experience under a few headings eg type of care, cost, level of medical professional attended at each visit, no of scans, average waiting times, labour and delivery experience, accommodation type. That would really help new mothers decide as things seem to differ across each hospital and from city to county.