My Mam has the shingles!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Vogue Posts: 426
God help her she is in agony the dote and panicing about me! Her GP told her I would be fine but we can't help but wonder would there be any potential problems to babs? I have to stay away from her for at least a week :o(
jmeath Posts: 5740
My h2b is just getting over the shingles. Doc and Pharmacist both advised he cant pass it on and theres no risks to me....
Vogue Posts: 426
That's great to know, thanks jmeath x
neeov Posts: 4256
Shingles is a re-occourance of the chicken pox virus. If you had the chicken pox before you should not catch it from your mum. Your poor mum.
evenstar Posts: 367
Shingles is not contagious so you should be fine! I had it when in early pregnancy on DD and she was fine! Was actually diagnosed with shingles when confirming my pregnancy :-)
knockedup Posts: 225
Shingles and chicken pox are same virus; varicella zoster. If you have never had chicken pox you CAN contract it from someone with shingles...
justwaitin Posts: 2462
my mum had shingles when i was pg on ds1, like others have said it the same virus as chicken pox and if you have had chicken pox you should be ok, i was fine just kept to miminal contact. only my niece picked up the chicken pox from her (she was 5). hth
ozypozy Posts: 2950
Shingles are EVIL! I had them a few months ago and they were agonising. The meds are an awful price too. Doctor advised me to stay away from babies who haven't had chickepox yet but other than that I wasn't contagious. Doctor said that it's the same virus as chicken pox and that you only get shingles if you've had chicken pox. Hope your mam feels better soon! Keep lashing on the Zovirax cream!