new years engagement

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bigjohn Posts: 20
hi all, its me again (the one who hopes to be getting engaged n new York at new years) I would just like to recap on all the advice you all have given me, i just have a few questions. No 1. can anybody recommend any good stores in NY where we can get the ring (6.000 euro budget). No 2. does anybody know the address for Hanikkens store, a few of you have recommend it. No 3. does anybody have any idea of how long it takes to resize a ring if the 1 she picks does not fit. No 4. and the last 1,is there anything we need to no when buying the ring so we don’t come home with a [b:bt7na3nm]plastic one[/b:bt7na3nm]. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU THAT HAS REPLYED TO ME
Miss Indecisive Posts: 996
i'm afraid i dont know the answers to any of your 4 questions but just wanted to wish you the best of luck!!! :wv
Late08 Posts: 675
I got my ring in Hanikens earlier this year, they are so helpful there. If you are going at New Years you might want to check their openning hours I'm not sure what advise you have already been given but if you buy from Hanikens, there is no chance you will be given a plasitc ring. They are on 47th and 7th, 66 47t St booth 24 to be exact. The diamond district is an experience of itself. They have a 'booth' within a larger shop. If you are walking with your back to 7th Ave they are on the right hand side. When you find the shop that hosts their booth number, don't be distracted by everyone shouting at you as you go in the door to get your attention, Hanikens is down the back. Check out You will have no problem getting an amazing ring for that budget. You won't have to get the ring resized. The way it works is as follows: 1) Pick the stone 2) Pick the mount and ring When the mount is picked they will set the ring for you, I think they hold the rings in all different sizes. It takes a few days between picking the ring and collecting the ring. I bought on Friday and collected on a Tuesday Do your research before you go. Check out some of the stores here to get prices depending on the 4 C's, so that you know when you are getting is a bargain
bigjohn Posts: 20
[quote="Late08"]I got my ring in Hanikens earlier this year, they are so helpful there. If you are going at New Years you might want to check their openning hours I'm not sure what advise you have already been given but if you buy from Hanikens, there is no chance you will be given a plasitc ring. They are on 47th and 7th, 66 47t St booth 24 to be exact. The diamond district is an experience of itself. They have a 'booth' within a larger shop. If you are walking with your back to 7th Ave they are on the right hand side. When you find the shop that hosts their booth number, don't be distracted by everyone shouting at you as you go in the door to get your attention, Hanikens is down the back. Check out You will have no problem getting an amazing ring for that budget. You won't have to get the ring resized. The way it works is as follows: 1) Pick the stone 2) Pick the mount and ring When the mount is picked they will set the ring for you, I think they hold the rings in all different sizes. It takes a few days between picking the ring and collecting the ring. I bought on Friday and collected on a Tuesday Do your research before you go. Check out some of the stores here to get prices depending on the 4 C's, so that you know when you are getting is a bargain[/qu do you think there is any chance of getting the ring the same day or the day after in any store as i wont be there long
loveheart Posts: 686
I got my ring in Antwerp so completely different but similar in that it was pick the stone, pick the setting and then get the ring. They had mine set and sized in an hour. maybe if you can email them or phone them and explain the situation they would be able to tell you if it was feasible or not. It really should be. Good luck!!!
sillysocks Posts: 1390
I didn't get my ring in NY, but it was done in the same way - pick stone, then mount the ring - and it was done in 3/4 hours, so maybe call/email them before you go over and Im' sure if you explain that you're not there for very long they could do it quicker than a few days! About getting a 'plastic' ring I'd advise you make sure to get a cert with the diamond, and I found it really helpful to go to one or two shops here and get a few rough prices for diamonds just so I knew I wasn't getting ripped off abroad.
Diddums Posts: 204
Hi there We got my ring in Tiffany's in New York - would definitely recommend going in there for the experience alone (and the champagne) ! They do a 'same day' resize service if you have ordered the ring before 2pm. After 2pm it will be ready by the afternoon of the following day - we ordered mine late in the afternoon so had to go back the next day, and had another few glasses of champers on the house that day too :o0 Best of luck and congratulations - New York is the most fabulous place in the world to get engaged. I just love it :lvs Diddums