Passports and Weddings

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ThatGeekBride Posts: 122
Hi all, I am hoping some of you may be able to give me some advice/have legal info on the whole area of passports and getting married. I am getting married in 18 months, my passport is currently out of date. In the next 18 months I cannot see any possibility (financially speaking) of me going away during that time so I am in no rush to renew it right now. However, I am aware that you need an in-date ID for the legal side of the wedding, a passport or a National ID card. I also plan on changing my name when I get married. So here is my questions; If I renew my passport in my maiden name and use it as my ID for the wedding, how does that tie in with me changing my name and continuing to use the passport after the wedding? can I still use it with my maiden name even if I go by my new name? Do I have to carry around shit with me to prove I am who I say I am (both names)? How do you negotiate the area of buying honeymoon tickets, do you buy them in your maiden name or your new changed name? It has been ages since I have gone abroad, do you need a valid passport to buy the tickets? or can I buy the tickets months in advance and then once married get a new passport in my new name before flying out? if this is the case I could use a different ID for the wedding. My head is mashed with all of this ha, I hope what I am asking even makes sense?
notthebride Posts: 172
Hi Op With regards to your honeymoon - tickets need to be booked in the name on the passport. If you are not going on honeymoon straight after the wedding then you can apply for a new passport when you get your marriage cert. You can book your tickets in your married name as you only need the id when checking in and travelling. Or you can book it in your maiden name and travel without getting a new passport. I will be going on my honeymoon with my maiden name - dont have time to apply for a new passport! Seems a bit of a waste of almost 100 euro to get a new passport now and then change it again in 18 months but thats just me!
ThatGeekBride Posts: 122
exactly! that was my struggle - I dont want to have to renew it just to change my name, it would be a waste of money. Having said that, each passport is 10 years so if I got my new passport in the next few months, I will have 9 years with my maiden name on my passport? O:| lol. Thanks for the info about the tickets though *)
notthebride Posts: 172
It just seems a waste of money when its unnecessary IMO. Actually reading back my post I have it wrong - I will be travelling on a passport in my old married name!! lol.