Price of my hen!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mrs Fahrenheit Posts: 1582
Just a bit upset today. Found out that a few of friends have been giving out about the price of my hen. I did't put anyone under pressure to come and they have the option of just coming for the day-time so I hoped that I wouldn't be putting people under financial pressure. In addition, how quickly some people seem to forget that I paid out a feckin fortune for their hens! All the girls are in full employment by the way. The hen costs 130 euro for one night. This includes activities, B&B and dinner. I could have kept it cheaper by staying in standard accommodation but as alot of the girls are pregnant, I thought a more low key hen in a nice hotel would be better suited. Just O:| O:| - that people have been giving out about me behind my back. My bridesmaid is telling me not to worry that they'll blame her not me :o( It's actually like this every single time someone has a hen. Sometimes girls are so cruel to each other. OH has tons of unemployed friends and they are all going to his stag without the bitching about the price.
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
Aw you poor thing :action32 :action32 I think €130 is a good price for what they are getting! I think though that no matter what you organise, people are always going to give out about the price. You have got to learn that you can't please everyone. If they want to go, they will. If not, Feck them :action34
Mrs Fahrenheit Posts: 1582
Thanks Flexy - ah sure they were all as sweet as pie to my face, telling me that they wouldn't miss it for the world ect... They'll all be there, I just hope they think it's worth it on the day.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
Thta's a great price, mine was 150 for activities, dinner and b&b, as flexy says there will always be people who give out so try and let it go over your head and enjoy your hen!
mshelly Posts: 746
The main cost of mine is going to be the show in the Grand Canal (Dirty Dancing) as the tickets cost €60 but then it is forcing us to go for a really early dinner, between 4 and 4.30 so i am hoping my sister can get a really good deal on a restaurant. I picked Dublin as it means less people will have accommodation costs and with the amount of hotels in the area and the Hen on in Jan there should be lots of deals out there. I am very aware that people have less money than they had a couple of years ago so i am trying to keeps costs low but it would annoy me if people were complaining as I have gone to many a hen where I have shelled out a lot of money and i did not complain as I saw it as something that I was going to enjoy and I knew about it well in advance so I could budget for it. People will always find something to complain about. Just ignore them.
whoop whoop Posts: 1616
Ah I wouldn't worry about it Miss F. I've given out about the cost of hens in the past, but I would never think of it as actually bitching about the bride herself! And if I was nice to the bride and promised I would come, I certainly wouldn't have thought of that as two-faced. I think you're friends are right not to moan to you about the cost, but it's OK for them to have a little moan to each other if they are tight on cash! It doesn't mean they're not coming. It doesn't mean they think less of you. It doesn't mean they won't enjoy it. And I don't think they are being mean.
Maybethisyear13 Posts: 992
Girls will always bitch and moan, and yes people's memories are VERY short, they generally wont think about the trouble/expense that you have gone to for them in the past! I think most people have had similar situations. Be it about hens or birthdays etc. It's crap to hear that people are bitching and I know it's hard to do, but try and put it out of your mind. To be honest I think the person really in the wrong here is the person who told you they are bitching!!! Definitely the wrong thing to do, ignorance is bliss and you just didn't need to know that.
ianstuart Posts: 1947
I think your hen sounds fab and the price is reasonable. Ive payed that kinda price before and stayed in really crappy B&B 's . For a day out , dinner and a fancy hotel i would be delighted.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
[quote="whoop whoop":3jqkyk3j]Ah I wouldn't worry about it Miss F. I've given out about the cost of hens in the past, but I would never think of it as actually bitching about the bride herself! And if I was nice to the bride and promised I would come, I certainly wouldn't have thought of that as two-faced. I think you're friends are right not to moan to you about the cost, but it's OK for them to have a little moan to each other if they are tight on cash! It doesn't mean they're not coming. It doesn't mean they think less of you. It doesn't mean they won't enjoy it. And I don't think they are being mean.[/quote:3jqkyk3j] +1!
MrsBC2b Posts: 205
My hen is the same price for Lunch activities dinner and dancing Bandb .. Thankfully I haven't been in earshot when people were complaining though. Just go and enjoy your night. Believe me I have forked out a hell of a lot more for most of my attendees hens over the years but these things easily get forgotten *)