Menu

Priest said no to Catholic blessing of civil marriage!:(

Go to Legal & Religious

rourkie15
New Wolly

Priest said no to Catholic blessing of civil marriage!:(

Postby rourkie15 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi All

I am new to this forum so apologies if I get anything wrong!! I was hoping to get some advice please. We are getting married in Thailand Easter 2018 in a non-religious ceremony. My family are quite religious and so we also wanted to have a Catholic blessing in my hometown in Kerry during Summer 2018 to include my family's traditions.

I contacted my local priest but unfortunately he said no to a blessing of a civil marriage but we could have a Catholic wedding ceremony. Neither I nor H2B are religious (I was raised Catholic but atheist now and H2B no religion) and we really don't want a full Catholic ceremony (would require a pre-marriage course, pledging to raise children in catholic faith, etc. and we don't want to lie).

There are mixed messages online about these blessings - some say no but other websites say it's at the discretion of the priest. Has anyone else had any experience with this or can offer any advice?

Thanks!!:) x

CasualBride
Major Wolly

Re: Priest said no to Catholic blessing of civil marriage!:(

Postby CasualBride » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi rourkie,

That's a pity!! I do think it must be entirely up to the priest then, I definitely heard of a few people just doing that around my home area, but I suppose technically it might not be the "right" thing to do in the eyes of the Church, so it's going to boil down to how the priest feels about it all.

20thMay2017
Mini Wolly

Postby 20thMay2017 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:57 pm

Can you try around a few different priests in the parish, some may be more lenient and less stuck in their ways than others?

MrsSparkle2B
Wolly Addict

Postby MrsSparkle2B » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm

It's at the discretion of the priest I believe, my local parish is the same. His message was basically you can't have it both ways, if you choose a civil marriage that's fine but he won't be blessing it for the sake of parents etc (this was to a friend).

I understand you want to please family but if your an aethiest then what's the point really? just explain to them the priest refused & sure not a lot they can do about it.

rourkie15
New Wolly

Postby rourkie15 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:32 am

Hi all!

Thank you very much for your replies :) I am going to continue to investigate and as suggested speak to some other priests. If it can't be done then it can't be done but won't give up just yet!

Thanks again for advice! If anyone else has any more please let me know!!:)

Go to Legal & Religious