Primary teachers- advice please :)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrsbrowneyedgirl28 Posts: 820
Hi there, Just found out I'm due in early August. As it falls during the holidays obviously there will be an overlap with maternity & holiday pay. Am I entitled then to finish the school year a few weeks early as in take some of maternity leave before baby arrives? I know another teacher who did this with a January baby- finished at Halloween. Not quite sure if it's the same for me. Any advice greatly appreciated O:o)
splash Posts: 57
I'm not sure that if would make any sense for you to take your maternity leave early as you would be on holidays anyway and using your maternity leave up as well at the same time! However you are allowed to use your 24 weeks whenever you want only stipulation is that you must take 2 weeks before the baby is born. Hope this helps!!
bride.ie Posts: 11
Hi, Simailar to you I just found out that I'm due approximately 9th August, getting married next week so it's a bit of a shock but a good one! As far as I know you have to take maternity leave at least 2 weeks before your due date, so for us that would be mid/end of July. Mat leave is 26 weeks so if you started before the summer you wouldn't have as much time off with your baby as you'd be due back earlier! If we finish for holidays at the end of June you will have a good few weeks off to relax before your due date. I'm more worried about when I'll have to go back. If our summer holidays are counted as mat leave and the max we can claim back at the end is 30 days then it's not the best timing! Would love if our mat leave started from Sept 1st!
mrsbrowneyedgirl28 Posts: 820
milis Posts: 7998
You won't lose out too much being due in August, you will have the full 30 days to reclaim at the end of your 26 weeks, so you won't be due back March or thereabouts. Congrates to you both :o)ll
benny313 Posts: 821
Hi Bride.ie If you are due the 9th of august and start maternith leave 2 weeks before, you would start maternity leave around the 24th July, and would not be back untill around the 21st of feb. I am nearly sure that is right. You are better off not starting your matnerity leave untill the 2 weeks before as you will loose out on time with the baby. Best of luck :o)ll