Menu

Renal Failure Cat

Pets, Animal Issues...

Go to WOL Furry Friends

Bluebellbride
Major Wolly

Renal Failure Cat

Postby Bluebellbride » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi guys, this has been worrying me for a while...my kitty has renal failure (kidneys) and I have swapped her food to the Hills k/d but it looks like I am wasting my time and money...she eats a tiny but and leaves it there, then I come and give her a new one and the same thing happens again...I have been to the vet with her a few times and she gets her kidney infection cleared and then it all begins again...she is peeing blood and straining at the min and won't use the litter box. I tried the Medicat that they stock in Maxi Zoo but that's a no-go too. I am hoping to try the Royal Canin Renal wet food now but don't know of anywhere that stock it. Has anyone else experienced this or know of somewhere that sells that food? Any advice is appreciated, I am so worried about my little lady x x x

Sassy1
Mini Wolly

Re: Renal Failure Cat

Postby Sassy1 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:52 pm

If its Royal Canin Renal Food you will only be able to get it from a vet as its a prescription food and not available in pet shops.

I am not sure if you are based in Dublin or not but if you are give St. Francis Animal Clinic in Inchicore a ring and they will be able to order it in for you - they don't charge as much as a normal vet for the food. If you are in Dubln and the cat takes to it just give them a few days notice before you need it again and they can get it in for you.

With cats with renal problems its trying to get them to drink water which is the problem - I know a few people who have had cats with renal problems and they all found the water fountains very good as the water is constantly moving and the cats seem to be attracted to it more.

I wouldn't worry too much with her not eating much - cats will eat when they are hungry unless of course she is loosing loads of weight then I would be worried.

Bluebellbride
Major Wolly

Postby Bluebellbride » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks a mill Sass, I found someone here that will order it for me and I have bought her a fountain so hopefully she will get back to normal now once I get it. Stressful, what would I be like with kids?! :eek

Bluebellbride
Major Wolly

Postby Bluebellbride » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi, just said I'd post this in case it helps anyone else in the future, I managed to get the Royal Canin one and I swear to God it's fantastic!! She just ate two pouches of the beef in a row so I am delighted! She never did that with any of the others, not even at the beginning so hopefully it will keep up!!

Tigra
Mini Wolly

Postby Tigra » Sat May 18, 2013 10:19 am

Hey Bluebellbride,

Just wondering how your cat is getting on?

One of my cats was diagnosed a few weeks ago with renal failure and my heart is broken :o( - the vet keeps saying he doesn't know how long she has left and just to make her a comfortable as possible. I have her on the Royal Canin wet food and she seems to like it most days and the vet has her on a table once a day that I crush up into her food.

Bluebellbride
Major Wolly

Postby Bluebellbride » Thu May 23, 2013 8:52 am

Hi, just saw this...she is perfect at the minute, eating her food and has lots of energy! Hope it keeps up. She had an abscess on her face last week and she didn't even care. It was unrelated to the renal failure though so don't worry. She got it removed and was in great form straight away. How is yours? I panicked at the start too, thought it was the end for her but she is great so it can be controlled with food and tablets O:o)

John Walsh Guitar
Tigra
Mini Wolly

Postby Tigra » Wed May 29, 2013 6:13 pm

My little ball of furr is good one day bad the next. They have told me that it's serious renal failure so she might last only a few weeks - but then they say she could live for another 5 years. My head is all over the place at the moment over it. The only way lately I can get her to drink anything is from the toliet!!! Some days she eats so little and her weight keeps dropping. But yet the vet says she isn't in pain - just feels like she has a little hangover.
It's great to hear that your furrball is doing so well - hope she is ok after having her abscess removed.

rooroo02
New Wolly

Postby rooroo02 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 pm

Ladies I've no experience thankfully for me and my darling kitty of what you are going through with your poor little cats but I hope they're doing well. They're lucky little animals to have such caring owners x

Bluebellbride
Major Wolly

Postby Bluebellbride » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Sorry I took so long, didn't see it. My little woman is still growing strong, can't believe her abscess healed super quickly and she has bundles of energy...delighted. Hope ur kitty is ok, it's been a while though so hopefully you haven't got bad news...

Go to WOL Furry Friends