Resigning after maternity leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sassypants Posts: 4461
I'm due back to work the first week of February but there is a chance that I might be moving elsewhere. I know I have to give 4 weeks notice about going back to work but could I tell them I'm taking unpaid leave to buy myself more time or is that 'cheating'? I don't want to tell them I might be leaving until it's 100% but it might be another couple of weeks before things are finalised.
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
Did this meself. I was very uneasy about it but my priorities had changed and I was awaiting an outcome of a job interview that would enable a more manageable situation for us in terms of childcare and finance. They really don't need to know your reasons for unpaid leave. If it's an option you can avail of then that's all that matters. I've discovered wimmin switching jobs after maternity leave is more common than I thought. Besta luck. Hope the other job comes through for you.
pinchingo Posts: 341
I know plenty of people that have done this and gone on to better jobs for their new circumstances but my job has a term in all out contracts that if we leave after our maternity leave is up we have to pay back half of the money that they have paid us while we were off. Is quite common in private sector jobs now so just make sure that your contract doesn't stipulate this.
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
I think you have to do whats best for your family. If you can afford to take the time then do, in the long term it'll probably give you much more peace of mind and make the move more stress free. As the others said, work dont need to know why youre taking unpaid leave and its such a regularly done thing these days they shouldn't question it. Best of luck with the move if it goes ahead Sassy x
No issue with paying them back...didn't get a penny from them. So I can tell them I'm taking unpaid leave to buy myself more time to make a decision on new job? And then give them 4 weeks notice before I'm due back?
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
Id imagine so as long as its something they're willing to give you.
I'm actually hoping to start the new job when I'm due back to work (early Feb) so there may be overlapping of my 'unpaid' and new job. Or would that be a no no?
Poppyseed Posts: 513
I'm not sure you could do that as your old company would have all your tax credits.
CherylC Posts: 1071
There should be no problem. You can tell them your taking unpaid leave, which you are legally entitled to so they can't say no. And then once the new job is confirmed you can resign.
pinchingo Posts: 341
Agree about tax credits and u would need ure P45 as well so you would have to resign from old job to start new job and hope u don't get smashed on emergency tax.