Menu

Sex Education for 5 year olds??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

JellySnakes Posts: 2201
Girls i am actually really shocked at an article i have just read online. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ssons.html I have a 5 year old boy and a 9 year old girl and there is no way i would let either of them sit in a classroom and be taught about sexual positions and orgasms! I do plan on having the birds and the bees talk with my children at the age of 11/12 as i would like them to have their innocence for as long as is possible. I am quite shocked that schools would be allowed to use this kind of material. :eek What do ye think?
CalamityJane Posts: 783
To be honest, I think 11 or 12 is actually too old as all children talk and they'll have heard stuff in the playground by then that may or may not be accurate. While I agree that the material being promoted in England is ott, I also think it's very important to educate children about sexuality. Part of the reason there is so much underage sex and teenage pregnancy is because these youngsters were never educated properly on the topic of sex.
lux Posts: 6270
TBH I take anything from the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt. They never restrain themselves if they can help feeling outraged! I know parents who've used similar books to the "where did I come from" one with their children to explain where the little sister or brother is coming from. Also, I hate teaching children euphemisms for body parts, tell them the correct names for their private areas so they can articulate if there are any problems. I'm probably lucky as my school was one of the first to implement the Stay Safe programme when I was in fifth class, we got no-nonsense education about what is the right and wrong behaviour for us with other children and adults and firm guidance on what to do if something was not right. I think a lot of the scourge of abuse could be adressed if children were given the right tools to express themselves and not made to feel ashamed if something happens. Also, it really is up to parents to either leave it to schools to teach it or get involved themselves.
Laila K Posts: 593
Hi, I teach 5 year olds and 6 year olds. The only SPHE (social, personal and health education) lesson we do on sex educ. is learning the proper names for the parts of the body. We are supposed to teach them the names "Penis" and "Vulva", but I think most people teach "vagina" as vulva isn't ever really said! Anyway, just to clear things up - for the timebeing that's all we teach and no more!
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
I think 11/12 is way too late to teach kids about Sex Ed.
Racy Lacy& [quote="FlexyDee"]I think 11/12 is way too late to teach kids about Sex Ed.[/quote My daughter will be in 5th class at 11 and for me and her that is the right time to discuss it. I have no problem in talking about where babies comes from and the biology of sex but i think to discuss orgasms, anal sex, oral sex and sexual positions is a bit much for young children.
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
[quote="JellySnakes":y94c1n20]Racy Lacy& [quote="FlexyDee":y94c1n20]I think 11/12 is way too late to teach kids about Sex Ed.[/quote My daughter will be in 5th class at 11 and for me and her that is the right time to discuss it. I have no problem in talking about where babies comes from and the biology of sex but i think to discuss orgasms, anal sex, oral sex and sexual positions is a bit much for young children.[/quote:y94c1n20][/quote:y94c1n20] That came out wrong in my above quote. But yes, you are totally going about it the right way!
CroB2B2011 Posts: 399
11/12 was definitely too late when I was in school, and I'd imagine things have moved one since then as well. Loads of girls have their periods before 5th class (my cousin got hers in 3rd class!), so I would definitely cover the basics in about 3rd class. It's not something that all has to be done in one go, my mum started with how a woman's body works, periods etc and then moved onto how babies are made a while later once I'd absorbed all of that, I would hope to take a similar approach. I have no problem with young kids learning the proper names for body parts, it will save embarrassment down the line!
SookieStackhouse Posts: 3135
I will be telling my kids when they're 8 or 9 at the latest I think. I would be worried if I left it later that an older cousin or school friend will tell them. I was 8 when I was told. My mother always says if you tell them earlier they don't get as embarrassed and are more accepting of things. She thinks I should tell DS now :eek Think 6 is a bit early yet.
See i have no problem as to what age kids are told about the biology of sex and periods but i just think the material to be used by the schools is too much, showing sexual positions and talking about orgams, prostitutes etc to young children imo is way too much information. I said i would talk to my daughter at 11 as i think that will be the right time for her to take it all in but she is nearly 10 now so who knows maybe i will be doing it sooner than i think.