Should I be taking iron?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MsWhite Posts: 94
Hi all, I hope someone might know the answer to my question! I'm just 12 weeks now and totally exhausted all the time. In the last few days a few people have asked if I've started taking iron yet and saying that it will give me an energy boost. The thing is, I've had blood tests that show I'm not anaemic or lacking in iron and the consultant or GP haven't told me to take anything else except my pregnacare and the fish oils that are in the same box (think they're pregnacare plus). One girl who I spoke to yesterday said her two sisters are nurses and they didn't wait to be told by the GP / consultant, they just took them. I'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance!
Bigsurprise Posts: 961
Personally I wouldn't take anything unless told to. Maybe look at your diet & see if are lacking anything there.
taurus09 Posts: 484
if ur iron levels were ok then I wouldn't take anything. I remember my doctor telling me that years ago they used to tell people to take iron as standard, but now they see what the blood tests say. Also if you are taking pregnancare then that has some iron in it so unless the doctor has told you, you shouldn't need any more. I'm 22 weeks and I'm still exhausted and was same last time, just take it easy and try rest when you can.
lila Posts: 982
Holles Steet told me to start taking Pregnacare which does contain Iron. I'm 12 + 3 and starting to feel a bit better. i'm expecting twins so I guess this part of the tiredness is down to that but I can't see any harm in taking pregnacare. I think the levels of Iron in pregnacare are pretty low in comparision to galfer or another specific iron supplement. Hopefully when we all reach 14 weeks, we'll feel like new women - at least I'm hoping I will as last 2 pregnancies I felt a lot better at that stage....
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I had to stop taking Pregnacare because the iron in it was contributing to my sickness - unless you are low in iron taking unnecessary iron won't make a difference to you! I found the first trimester the most exhausting!
jewellb Posts: 2389
Ms White you will prob find your not as tired in the next wee while I was wrecked in beginning also and need iron infusions !! Hopefully the tiredness will lift now your near 2nd tri!! X
Sodapop Posts: 3220
being pregnant we need extra iron - nearly all of us will be told at some point that we are low in iron - baby takes your iron but you are forgotten about. if you take a supplement daily that includes iron you'll be fine - I found out at my 24 week bloods that I was low in iron (even tho I eat red meat regularly etc and have a normal healthy diet) and I had stopped taking my pregnancy vitamins about 4 weeks before (thought I didn't need to anymore - but I was wrong). I've been taking my vitamins ever since no more shortage! only take specific pregnancy vitamins/supplement - do not take normal ones as certain vitamins (and the amounts of them) are not good for baby (example Vitamin A).
ructions Posts: 2689
I didn't take separate iron during or after pregnancy. My iron levels were fine, dipped a bit after birth but iron makes me sick so I didn't take it.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
My iron levels were perfectly fine during pregnancy too! If in doubt ask for your levels to be checked!
BusyDee Posts: 8527
I didn't take any extra iron last time or this time. I took pregnacare plus last time and my iron levels were fine throughout, I didn't want to take it unless neccessary as it can cause constipation and I had a awful bout of it early in pregnancy that I was terriffied of getting another bout of it! Also too much iron can be harmful.