So so so depressed

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

willthiswork Posts: 1995
We've been trying since September and I just got my 6th period since then. I'm seriously worried that I just can't conceive. I'm going to buy a basal thermometer today. How long do you have to be trying before oing to the doctor? I'm 23 and my dh is 22.
*Smajra* Posts: 1440
I know this is of little comfort to you but it honestly can just take time without there being anything wrong. As far as I know doctors tend to let you try yourself for a year before doing any tests. I know myself from experience though that as this is such a huge life changing decision to make it tends to consume you and women tend to obsess a little when it doesn't happen straight away. Each month seems never ending and each period brings huge disappointment. The problem is that while stress and worry cant delay your period it can delay ovulation which in turn can make your cycle longer so as hard as it is you really need to try to focus on something else to take the pressure off your body. There really is no need to think the worst yet so just try your best to relax and have patience. When it does happen you won't know where the time went. Take care.
Incognito Posts: 232
Didn't want to read and not respond. Not 100% sure, but I think it's about a year wait before they will investigate. If you are that worried, you could say that you have been trying for a little longer than you actually have; that might speed things up a little. Keep the spirits up!
yadayada Posts: 1066
Hiya We have been trying for 8 months now so I know how you feel. Its depressing each month when the period arrives. We were trying not to get too scientific about it but all the stops are being pulled out now. Are you tracking your cycles on www.fertilityfriend.com or www.cyclespage.com? This helps to pinpoint ovulation. I bought OPK's from www.testforless.com which I use around the time that cyclespage predict ovulation. I also bought a saliva microscope from www.accessdiagnostics.com. You put some saliva on it each morning and the pattern it forms changes as you near ovulation. I have also just ordered Taking Charge of your fertility...I have seen it recommended here a lot. But I'm not obsessed :lol: :lol: Hubby mentioned to the doctor that we were ttc and she told him that you have to be ttc for a year before they will refer you for tests. She also said that people get so stressed out ttc that it makes it harder. She was telling hubby its amazing how many couples concieve while waiting for an appointment for tests, as they tend to relax and Bingo! She also said that we spend so many years trying not to get pregnant that we assume we will get pregnant first try...which seldom happens. Easier said than done, but try not to worry about it.
lindeen Posts: 213
hi try get your hands on 'taking charge of your fertility' i just finished reading it and its very good im going to start charting from tomorrow.basically it explains all about when you ovulate by taking your temp every morning and it shows you if there are any problems without having to go through loads of tests.i would try it there was someone on here who got pregnant in two cycles after trying it. best of luck im going to liffey valley later and will see do easons stock it.
Mrs Peg Posts: 1778
Definitely agree with the others - start charting asap. When you are 100% sure when you are ovulating, you will increase your chances of conception. In the Taking Charge of Your Fertility book, Toni Wescher says that if you don't get pregnant within four months of following her recommendations, then you should seek some medical advice. You will feel so much more in control using this method - i know a lot of people just like to play it by ear and see how they get on which is great too, but if you've had no luck so far, than maybe this is the right move for you. Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
melly Posts: 141
I know how you feel honey ./..we are trying about 8 months and its so depressing...my period is on its way as we speak I just know it so another month of no joy! WHy dont you come over to MagicMum.com and ttc forum...there is a willing wanting waiting to concieve thread you should join....
Thanks girls. I'm definitely pulling out the stops now! I'm going to get a thermometer on the way home from work and start keeping a record of my temps. I'll try and get a copy of the book too. Its so hard to keep positive when you keep getting bfns!
Mrs Peg Posts: 1778
That's the spirit! Weren't u saying ur hubbie was away quite a lot with work too? That must have been difficult to plan around. I think u said he was home a lot more now, so obviously that'll help matters. Give it ur best shot with the charting anyway and hopefully you'll have some good news for us in a few months!
That right Mrs Peg. He's home for good now so hopefully that will bring some good news soon!