Menu

SPEECH THERAPY

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Midlands Mum Posts: 871
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew of a private speech therapist in the Cavan Area. My son needs intensive speech therapy and the half hour every 2wks that hes getting just isnt enough. Id appreciate any advice. Thanks Midlands
married06 Posts: 83
hi Midlands, My cousin is 3,has Down's, lives in Westmeath and attends speech therapy in Dundalk - don't know any more details I'm afraid. Her mother had same issues as you in that the therapy provided by HSe wasn't enough. It's quite expensive I think-40 or 50e per hr. I think it is done in a group setting, they go once a week. Sorry can't be of more help.
[email protected] Posts: 492
Hi, I'm not in your position as yet but this is a website link for speech and language therapists in private practice. I hope you can get some help there. Let us know how you get on. http://www.iasltpp.com/
gregaa Posts: 19
Hi, My daughter has DS and she is currently attending a private ST group in Dundalk. The group is called release (ww.release.ie) and they do offer free places as part of a group therephy session. I think there is a new course starting in January but it is €75 a session. Can't recommend them enough. I dread to think where her speech would be if it wasn't for them. Good Luck
jwetter Posts: 3
Wow, as the SLT who started the classes up there, I'm so thrilled to hear such praises and that Christina must be doing brilliantly! Hope to see you there in January! I've been spending my time working on registrations for the new session, setting up our new school in Rathfarnham, getting married (AND pregnant!), which may attest for why I haven't been up to visit in WAY too long. I'll try to make it up there soon to give out some cuddles! Thanks for passing out the website as well! I just LOVE hearing from parents! Best, Jen (www.release.ie) [quote="gregaa":7vn3ehda]Hi, My daughter has DS and she is currently attending a private ST group in Dundalk. The group is called release (ww.release.ie) and they do offer free places as part of a group therephy session. I think there is a new course starting in January but it is €75 a session. Can't recommend them enough. I dread to think where her speech would be if it wasn't for them. Good Luck[/quote:7vn3ehda]
chiefbee Posts: 42
I'm an SLT for the HSE. I think it's sad that we can't provide as much therapy is needed but please, please tell your HSE therapist if you are attending private SLT. I know in my area anyway we are completely open to it. It's just important that the private SLT and public SLT are working towards the same goals and are not using conflicting, overlapping approaches! As a HSE SLT I know I'm completely overworked but no hope of it improving for a long time. Just to reiterate if you are using a private therapist please liaise with your public therapist! I had a fantastically positive meeting with a private SLT working with a client of mine, a little boy with DS . We have set goals together and ensured that we are both working in the same direction with the client's best interest at the heart of the therapy.
Lucy Kavanagh
gaffers Posts: 11
would using tools such as speechercise CD help, maybe to fill in the gaps.Could your terapist help put a hme plan together using tools that are available to you. cathy