Sweetheart table - opinions please

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

MRSC15 Posts: 24
Hi, I've recently been toying with the idea of a sweetheart table instead of a traditional top table. Myself new hubby (!!) and our 3 year old son will sit at it and we will have two tables either side with BM,GM, parents etc. What's your opinion on a sweetheart table, any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks xx
craftyPB Posts: 2625
We're doing one and I'm really excited about it! We are looking forward to having dinner together, just the two of us and watching our wedding happen around us. We think it'll be a lovely opportunity to be together, as lots of people tell me they barely saw their husbands on the day! We'll have two "top tables" either side of us, with parents, priest, best man, maid of honour and their partners on one side and our siblings, groomsmen and bridesmaids plus partners on the other side.
SunshineLove Posts: 92
I love the idea! We won't be able to have a "balanced" top table since only my mom and dad can come over from Florida (my sister and brother and their families can't travel to Dublin), whereas my fiancé will have his whole family there. So we decided not to do the traditional bridal party, so it's almost not even possible to have a top table. Instead, we are thinking of doing a "Half Top" table with just us and our parents on each side of us. This will be balanced, and it might be more comfortable for my parents to be next to me since they won't know many people there. I haven't asked my parents yet, though, so if they would rather blend/mingle, then we'll just have the two of us at a sweetheart table.
nosie Posts: 449
Personally, I don't like them. I want to be with my guests that have travelled for the sole purpose of spending time with me and my OH rather than cutting ourselves off from them. We'll be sitting at a round table with parents, best man and his wife, and maid of honour and her husband so we get some quality time with our nearest and dearest. Sure we'll be together for 3 weeks on our honeymoon and for the rest of our lives!
craftyPB Posts: 2625
We won't exactly be cut off from our guests - they'll be seated all around us! We plan to have plenty of time at the afternoon tea drinks reception to mingle with our guests and then later on the dancefloor!!
MrsFahy2b Posts: 24
Personally I dont like them either. I feel like your excluding yourselves from everyone else and i would worry that it would effect the athmosphere in the room. I have been bridesmaid a few times and the top table is where you laugh and have a chat with the people around you on the day. We have dinner alone together every night and if i did sweet heart table sure it be no different. We will be away together for 3 weeks and together for ever so why exclude ourselves from everyone that we asked to be with us on the day during the meal.
CoolInterestingUserName Posts: 326
Yeah I don't like the idea either TBH I see the pro's mentioned but do still think it gives off an atmosphere of being cut off Much prefer to feel in the centre of things seated with guests
KennedyKK Posts: 122
I wouldn't like it; I would just be going up and down and back and forth talking to people anyway!