The Big Clean

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
So Jan is here and every year I do as Im sure plenty do a big clean and clearout every Jan....Just wondering if anybody has handy tips for cleaning different things? I intend on doing every single room so any tips will be greatly appreciated :compress
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
I do the same, New Year's Day all decorations come down and straight back in the attic, sitting room gets cleaned from top to bottom, and kitchen gets a complete overhaul, all laundry done and ironing is now finished (save the stuff drying). Tomorrow I'll attack upstairs, any clothes not worn the last 12 months go into black bags for the charity chop, bathrooms scrubbed, sheets changed, floors scrubbed hall stairs and landing hoovered and wooden floors mopped. I do it over 2 days so as not to get too bogged down with it all. And I send my husband away so he's not under my feet :o0
Shells Bells Posts: 650
Christ I'm tired just reading that Mrsmoo. I'm far too lazy for my own good.
adelz Posts: 3088
I just find big clean and clear out is just so good for the soul! Feel great and feel so refreshed from it house included!
sparklingsmile Posts: 243
Mrsmoo your DH is one lucky son of a gun! My DH would be made scrub every step of the way with me :o0
streaks Posts: 3592
Decorations down already?? But, there's another 5 days of xmas left! Im not normally one for a January clear up, its usually Aprilish, it;s very different this yeaar though, I've a serious case of nesting going on at the moment.. so bad, DH threatened to brinh the hoover to work with him on Monday with the hope of me actually resting! lol
mrsmoo2202 Posts: 1930
[quote="streaks":3d44jc6c]Decorations down already?? But, there's another 5 days of xmas left! [/quote:3d44jc6c] Up on the 1st, down on the 1st. Not a fan of New Years, christmas for us ends on Stephens' Day! It annoys me sitting there looking all sad with no gifts under it, and I'm itching to get in a dust and Hoover around and behind it :-8
LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
feeling very lazy reading this, a new year clean out hadn't even crossed my mind
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
[quote="mrsmoo2202":2omzefz0][quote="streaks":2omzefz0]Decorations down already?? But, there's another 5 days of xmas left! [/quote:2omzefz0] Up on the 1st, down on the 1st. Not a fan of New Years, christmas for us ends on Stephens' Day! It annoys me sitting there looking all sad with no gifts under it, and I'm itching to get in a dust and Hoover around and behind it :-8[/quote:2omzefz0] I considered taking if down the 27th! No point after the presents are gone!
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
MrsMoo that's some going! I did about a week of de-cluttering just before Christmas. Pulled apart the hot press, bagged and donated a load if clothes that hadn't been worn in the last 12 months and then yesterday I sorted all ds's clothes-he's growing so quickly that I've to do a serious rotation of all his clothes every 3 months. While I was sorting his clothes my DH tackled all the floors-hoovered and scrubbed so when we sat down yesterday evening the house just seemed fresher. Seriously thinking of taking down the decorations and tree tomorrow but I would be of the opinion that it should stay up til the 6th, will just have to wait and see on that one. Tips wise Adelz- I remember reading somewhere before that it helps to have all your cleaning bits-cloths/sprays etc in one basket/ container that you can easily carry with y from room to room. Also I find lemon great as a natural alternative especially when it comes to removing grease/grime from the microwave: cut a lemon in 2, put it into a bowl of water and into the microwave for a couple of minutes. The combination of steam from the water and lemon really cleans the microwave and all you've to do then is wipe the inside clean.