The Budget :-O

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SunnyK Posts: 3834
Hi Girls, Anyone know what date the budget is out this year? Has anyone heard much about the cuts or anything? I've heard very little this year, just that motor tax will prob be going up (again!) >:o(
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
[quote="SunnyK":2n6nh1cs]Hi Girls, Anyone know what date the budget is out this year? Has anyone heard much about the cuts or anything? I've heard very little this year, just that motor tax will prob be going up (again!) >:o([/quote:2n6nh1cs] 5th december (tomorrow week)
Jane Smith Posts: 3158
I imagine children's allowance will be impacted and will probably be one of the most highlighted issues. Small chance old age pensions might be effected although greater chance it will be other areas of allowances and benefits they receive. I also expect they will have finally come to some sort of conclusion as to how they're going to progress with this property tax and it's basis of calculation.
MinnietheMinx Posts: 2396
What do you think the chances of them leaving PAYE, PRSI and USC as they are? That's what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for
gingerwhinger Posts: 1421
I was listening to a talk last week in which they were saying they thought the income tax would stay the same but that people would be stung by a rise in the USC. They'll have some sneaky way of getting more money out of us! There has been a lot of talk about cutting child benefit but there was a lot prior to the budget last and they didn't then. Fingers crossed they won't touch it this year. A lot of people really depend on it each month
Daisy Row Posts: 3650
Some of the things I've heard/read about; *) Reduction/Means testing for Childrens allowance *) Increase to USC for the higher earners (100k+) *) Reduction in unemployment benefits *) Property Tax *) Statutory Sick pay - employers will have to pay for the initial period of sick leave to take the presure of the social welfare system *) Tax relief on pensions *) Increases on cigarettes and alcohol
Mrs W Posts: 2923
That sick pay thing annoys me, what are we paying all this PRSI for if we get nothing in return? Its bad enough in my work to take a sick day and I dont get paid for it. I do think there should be means testing on pensions/medical cards and free travel though. There are a lot of pensioners out there on big money. They also need to seriously look at the expenditure on medical cards, my granny has a few ailments and she collects 2 carrier bags of stuff from the chemist, she had a kidney infection a few years ago and was given a prescription for a large tub of paracetemol that they still give her every month. Theres another few things on her prescription like that too but shes afraid to tell them to cancel stuff in case they cancelled the stuff she does need. I think the property tax should be paid by householders too, they cant keep hitting landlords with charges. I dont mind paying my fair share but I dont think its fair that some people contribute nothing