The Dreaded First Dance

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kaz1978 Posts: 45
Just wondering what everyone is doing for this. I'm really not into the whole idea to be honest. Hate the spotlight (so as you can guess I'm dreading walking down the aisle too). Is anyone doing an alternative to the first dance? Thanks girlies x
daisybabe Posts: 767
I'd love to do something like this :o0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeoi16lScf4
kaz1978 Posts: 45
Haha - yeah I've seen that before Daisybabe - excellent eh?! Too many people know about it now though ... thanks anway Kaz
finny09 Posts: 104
I'm the same as you - hate being in the spotlight. We did consider not having a first dance, but we probably will have one. Can't really think of an alternative. We're might not have a typical song - did discuss the possibility of dancing to the theme tune of "curb your enthusiasm" as we are big fans of the show!! but i'm not worried about the walk down the aisle, as i've been bridesmaid 3 times, and i think that's worse than being the bride - at least the bride has someone to hold on to and walk up with
Mooches Posts: 875
My DH was dreading the first dance so we decided to get all the guests (only 40) to make a big circle around us and we shuffled around smooching for about 30 seconds then DH gave Best Man, my folks & his folks the nod (we'd them well warned!) and about 10 seconds later everyone was dancing around with us. It was great really and it worked out really well as we asked for 'That's Amore' to be played straight after and as we were in Italy it went down really well. It's just a suggestion but might be a solution for you. HTH :wv
the winner Posts: 4148
I am dreading it :o( :o( I really am, I have had nightmares about it I hate attention I am dreading walking down the aisle and people looking at me? crazy I know when your getting married... I wonder do many people just not do a 1st dance, would people think it was really odd?? Id love not to do one.
jaykay Posts: 452
ahh daiseybabe that is a classic,just watched 4 times in a row,its brill...fareplay to them :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0
missweddingbelle Posts: 84
[quote="The Winner":1i4b5ohm]I am dreading it :o( :o( I really am, I have had nightmares about it I hate attention I am dreading walking down the aisle and people looking at me? crazy I know when your getting married... I wonder do many people just not do a 1st dance, would people think it was really odd?? Id love not to do one.[/quote:1i4b5ohm] Hey The Winner...I think its terrible that you are feeling like that...there is so much pressure on everyone to do what people 'expect' but its soo wrong!! its your wedding day and its supposed to be about you and your h2b and therefore you should do what makes you comfortable and if that means not doing a first dance then dont do one!! i mean people mite mention it for 2 minutes after they play the first song and u guys arent the only 2 dancing but after that noone will even think about it!! at my sis's wedding recently the band suggest playing a set or two b4 doing the first cance cos they think it gets people on the floor better but it meant that guests assumed they werent doing a first dance because it wasn't the 'first dance' but after 2 songs i think people had totally forgotten bout it and were nearly surprised wen they came out and did the dance afterwards!!! Really hope u decide to do what makes you happy!!
the winner Posts: 4148
Thats a great idea, I might do that have a few songs before our dance that would break the awkwardness if you get me... Thx
fifibelle Posts: 4447
Myself and DH were dreading out first dance too! Our function room was an L shaped room with the dance floor in the "L" bit so half our guests didnt even notice us doing our first dance - suited us fine!!!! DJ tried to announce it to the room and we were like "oh no, dont worry about doing that"! :o0 Anyway ladies it really is not as bad as you think it would be! We even ended up doing another dance for everyone later on!