Waiting periods for Maternity Benefits/ Hibernian insurance

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LadyBug Posts: 545
Hi girls, We are only starting to talk about TCC at the moment, but the more i read about health care and Public -v- Private, the more confused i get!! Anyhow, plenty of time to learn i guess but just one quick question, we have been looking into Hibernian health care but just regarding the 'Waiting Periods'. It says on all docs that for maternity benefits that the waiting period is 1 year? Am i right then in saying that if i became pregnant now and am only after taking the policy out, that we would not be covered for it the maternity benefits on the policy then EVER, or does it just mean you would have to wait a year BEFORE you can put the claim in? Sorry, im work and it is wrecking my head, but dont want to ring as in an open office and dont want people knowing my business!
Anonymous Posts: 24542
If you deliver your baby before the first year of your policy is up, you cannot claim for any related costs. Once you have served your first year, any maternity-related costs you incur after your renewal date can be claimed as per your policy.
Thank you! :thnk Sounds so simple now that you put it that way! :o0
No probs! We've all been at the figuring-out-your-policy-benefits stage at one point or another. :wv
Ok, thought i had this all sorted out in my head but the more i read the more confused i get & get this, the chap in our local Hibernian office didnt know the answer himself! :eek Is it that if you are pregnant when you take out the policy or BECOME pregnant in the first 52 weeks of the policy, you won’t be covered for the maternity cover of that policy? OR Is it that if you GIVE BIRTH within the first 52 weeks, your not covered? I thought it was the later (as per advice above) but now im not so sure? Basically, we just took our policy out at the beginning of Sep this year, where does that leave us? Sorry girls, head melted and waiting on reply from an email i sent them....
If you have never had health insurance before: - If you are pregnant when you take out the policy, you will not be covered for anything maternity-related for the first 52 weeks of the policy, which essentially means that you will not be able to claim any maternity-related expenses for that pregnancy; - If you fall pregnant during the first 52 weeks of the policy and deliver before you have served the first 52 weeks of the policy, you will not be able to claim for any maternity-related expenses for that pregnancy; - If you fall pregnant and deliver after the first 52 weeks of the policy, you will be able to claim for any maternity-related expenses incurred after the first 52 weeks of the policy. Basically, anything that happens before the first 52 weeks comes out of your pocket. Anything that happens after you have served the first 52 weeks will be covered as per the terms of your policy. As you took out your policy in September of this year, you will be covered for any maternity-related expenses incurred from September 2009 onwards. If you had a policy with another insurer before you took out this one, and you didn't let the policy lapse for more than 13 weeks, you may have already served your waiting period for maternity benefits. HTH :wv
Thanks Ditz....finally got my head around it now, promise! :-8 I know there's a lot more to private health insurance than this, and its totally our own fault for not being more organised....just dont know if its worth holding off on TTC for 3 months just for a semi private room at the end of it all and even then its not guaranteed...still, could be trying for a long time i guess so better off in long run.... thanks again.... :thnk