Wavy haired Wollies

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

TracyBarlow Posts: 943
What do you put in your hair to tame the frizz? My hair used to be naturally straight, but years of colouring, highlights, layers, etc have left it with a slight kink in it when i let it dry naturally. It actually dries to a really nice wavy beachy look, but the issue im having is it tends to frizz, which doesnt bother me when im just dossing around the house, but im trying to lay off the hair straighteners for a bit so i want sleek shiny defined curls when im out and about, not a head of wavy frizz! So what is the best serum/styling product that i can put in after i wash it?
Jawl Posts: 8881
I've got a mass of curls, but have been straightening for 7 years. Giving it a break just now and going for the curly look, as my hair is quite damaged. I bought Boots own Almond & Coconut Leave in Conditioner and used to just spray it in that. I had my colour done today, and washed it out myself, and it's usually very dry after that. But I bought the Almond & Coconut Mask today, and used that as a conditioner, and it's super soft. 1.80 for the leave in conditioner. 2.99 for the mask, bargain!
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
I've never found anything that tames frizz completely. I was using Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock leave-in conditioner for years but picked up a bottle of L'Oreal Smooth Intense anti-frizz serum one day when I ran out of the Tigi stuff and found it nice, leaves hair really soft. There was none in Tesco the last time I was in there so I picked up a Frizz Ease serum but the jury's still out on that one - I think my hair was less frizzy with the L'Oreal stuff.
Elban26 Posts: 2458
I find the L'oreal one good too, when I'm leaving hair wavy, I always put the L'oreal smooth intense in. SSF, I agree with you on the Frizz Ease, I used ot use that but find the L'oreal one better.
cabbagehead Posts: 3899
As a curly-headed Wollie, can I just give my 2 cents on Frizz-Ease serum? I find it to be unbelievably difficult to use - use too little and it has no effect, use too much and you just stick your hair together into a sort of flat-yet-still-somehow-frizzy non-style. You have to use a few drops on SOAKING wet hair, and hope for the best. Life, my friends, is too short. But they do a truly excellent product called "secret agent", which is a cream you can use on dry hair to zap any stray frizzy bits. I keep this in my handbag at all times. I think leave-in conditionner is really important in the battle against frizz, and towel drying and "scrunching" are your worst enemies. Don't brush your hair if you want to style it curly, just run a wide-toothed comb through it when you've put the leave-in conditionner on. I tend to use cream-type products as opposed to serums, I find I get a softer, bouncier curl with them. Stick your product of choice onto your hair with a light touch, and give your hair a few minutes to air-dry. Then dry with a diffuser and DON'T SCRUNCH! A fabulous mane of curls will be yours!
Thanks for all those tips ladies, i'll invest in some of that Frizz-ease secret agent cabbagehead. I too dont particularly rate frizz ease generally, but i'll give this a whirl. Any recs on a leave in conditioner?
IvytheTerrible Posts: 950
BouncyL I'm heading into BT's tomorrow to try some of that stuff :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll Thanks :thnk I have curly hair and have struggled for years to find products that suit. As cabbagehead said, Frizz Ease is very hit and miss, I bought the shampoo/conditioners, used them once and threw them in the bin (boots offer 3 for 2), it was like somebody had covered my hair in silicone? The serum is exactly how cabbagehead describes, too little gives no effect and then you are inclined to be too heavy handed. Pantene and Tresemme also crap. I have been using the Tigi Catwalk Curls for years and this was my ideal product until they changed the packaging (and the contents) a few weeks ago. I was disgusted, if it ain't broke, why fix it? The salons ran out of it so I was left with nothing and forced to get Bumble & Bumble Curl Calmer, useless. It's grand in the morning but you would need to bring it around with you as the effect doesn't last the day. I am trying to get used to the new formulation on the Catwalk Curls, now called Curlesque and I will probably stick with that long term. I have also tried Umberto Giannini Curl Friends, the shampoo/conditioners are okay but the curl spray smells vile and the scrunching jelly makes the hair hard. Same goes for Trevor Sorbie, the shampoo/conditioners okay but the curl cream weighs the hair down. As you can see, I've tried loads :o0 . Cherry chapstick, I also use a lot of leave-in sprays as I can't comb my hair in the mornings without it and keep going back to the boots own brand coconut (same one as Jawl I'd say), purely on price, 1.99 or something and everyone comments on the smell. I got Loreal Elvive Colour Protect leave-in spray this week (red bottle) in Dunnes half price and that is good too. They also had the leave-in cream which I was debating on trying. If it's on offer in Boots, I go for Aussie leave-in and if I'm breaking the bank, I love Revlon 2-phase which is available from salon wholesalers only. Speak to your hairdresser next time you get it cut because I find some cuts worse than others for frizz, especially if you have thick hair and they have to take the weight out etc. Shampoo and Conditioners wise, I am using Lush Curly Wurly shampoo and Lush American Cream Conditioner (double strength) when I can afford it, alternating with Loreal Colour Protect. Taming my curly mess is an expensive business :-8 but the products last quite a while. The only one I've not tried is Aveda due to mixed reviews :wv
Picked this up in the chemist at the weekend and its very good, curls are holding and nicely defined, and very little frizz. :o)ll And my hair doesnt feel weighed down.
MrsTwit Posts: 842
[quote="cabbagehead":14deo8f9]As a curly-headed Wollie, can I just give my 2 cents on Frizz-Ease serum? I find it to be unbelievably difficult to use - use too little and it has no effect, use too much and you just stick your hair together into a sort of flat-yet-still-somehow-frizzy non-style. You have to use a few drops on SOAKING wet hair, and hope for the best. Life, my friends, is too short. But they do a truly excellent product called "secret agent", which is a cream you can use on dry hair to zap any stray frizzy bits. I keep this in my handbag at all times. I think leave-in conditionner is really important in the battle against frizz, and towel drying and "scrunching" are your worst enemies. Don't brush your hair if you want to style it curly, just run a wide-toothed comb through it when you've put the leave-in conditionner on. I tend to use cream-type products as opposed to serums, I find I get a softer, bouncier curl with them. Stick your product of choice onto your hair with a light touch, and give your hair a few minutes to air-dry. Then dry with a diffuser and DON'T SCRUNCH! A fabulous mane of curls will be yours![/quote:14deo8f9] Cabbagehead great advice.... I'm gonna try it at the weekend!! I have 'wavy' hair that's neither curly nor straight.... usually blow dry it and straighten it (coz I cant seem to manage 2 make it wearable in public any other way) but am finding that my hair is sooooooo dried out lately, would love 2 give it a break from the heat!!