Wedding Dress shopping!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

queen30 Posts: 1551
has anyone got any suggestions for coping with the stress of wedding dress shopping? i know that sounds awful but im really stressed about it. i have no idea what i want, i know what i dont want but no idea where to go from there. im going shopping on friday and my parents are coming with me. this is also stressing me out as i know my dad is going to be bored stiff and my mum has COMPLETELY different ideas as to what sort of dress suits me (they wanted to come and my dad wants to buy my wedding dress). any tips on trying to make it an enjoyable experience rather than a nightmare! :custum59
fizzgig Posts: 501
Not a smart answer, but dont bring your parents :-8 Have you anyone else that would go with you. I wouldnt have brought my own mother in a fit. Its not that i dont love her, but she can be very critical at the best of times and really to be honest, she doesnt have a clue ha ha. She hardly every goes shopping for herself, so i knew before hand she would have been a nightmare. I went on my own for one shop and i would recommend it. Not only do i know my own dress sense at this stage, the girls in the shop where more then helpful. I came back with my sister when i thought i was close to finding " the " dress.
PeaPod Posts: 583
Don't go to too many shops in the one day. I went to 2 and it was more than enough. And give yourself enough time for each because you don't wanna be rushing! Other than that I think just take a dress of each style, try them on and you'll pretty much no straight away the shape that suits you! Then you can focus on trying on dresses of that style and eliminate all the others
lux Posts: 6270
I'd second going on your own to the first shop. I did and it meant I didn't have to deal with any opinions at all. I also learned really quickly what I didn't want so when I went to shop number two (the only one I brought others to) I knew what I was looking for. I really don't get why your dad would come, I think its not anything men are interested in.
I actually only ever go shopping on my own. I dont even go shopping with friends. My parents really wanted to come and they've been really good about everything else so I sort of had to say yes. I didnt know dads came wedding dress shopping but apparently lots do. I had no idea he intended to come until i was talking about someone elses dad gong wedding dress shopping and then my mum said my dad went for my sister and would want to come to mine too. in fairness prob better to have my dad there as my mother could have rather an acid tongue about clothes and my dad will prob keep her under the thumb.
lux Posts: 6270
[quote="queen30":2gs7ys8a]I actually only ever go shopping on my own. I dont even go shopping with friends. My parents really wanted to come and they've been really good about everything else so I sort of had to say yes. I didnt know dads came wedding dress shopping but apparently lots do. I had no idea he intended to come until i was talking about someone elses dad gong wedding dress shopping and then my mum said my dad went for my sister and would want to come to mine too. in fairness prob better to have my dad there as my mother could have rather an acid tongue about clothes and my dad will prob keep her under the thumb.[/quote:2gs7ys8a] I never saw a dad in my time shopping! TBH I know its not PC but in the place I got my dress I wouldn't have liked a dad there, you can be half in the nip on the shop floor while a dress is pinned on and as it didn't have appointments there were lots of other people around. I would not have brought my dad there, I know it would have made others uncomfortable (and my dad is lovely as I'm sure yours is).
CarolinaMoon Posts: 2431
I'm not ready to go dress shopping yet but when I do I think I might go on my own first and then bring my mother. They live in London and I know that my mum wants to be involved - I did have the brain wave of bringing my dad too as he would come over with mum but the look of horror on his face kind of said it all. Still tempted to make him come to one shop >:o)
[quote="lux":1u0hc4b1][quote="queen30":1u0hc4b1]I actually only ever go shopping on my own. I dont even go shopping with friends. My parents really wanted to come and they've been really good about everything else so I sort of had to say yes. I didnt know dads came wedding dress shopping but apparently lots do. I had no idea he intended to come until i was talking about someone elses dad gong wedding dress shopping and then my mum said my dad went for my sister and would want to come to mine too. in fairness prob better to have my dad there as my mother could have rather an acid tongue about clothes and my dad will prob keep her under the thumb.[/quote:1u0hc4b1] I never saw a dad in my time shopping! TBH I know its not PC but in the place I got my dress I wouldn't have liked a dad there, you can be half in the nip on the shop floor while a dress is pinned on and as it didn't have appointments there were lots of other people around. I would not have brought my dad there, I know it would have made others uncomfortable (and my dad is lovely as I'm sure yours is).[/quote:1u0hc4b1] I don't know, all my friends have had their dad's there too, though i was never that aware of it before. all the places im going our appointment only and i asked on the phone about my dad and they said its fine as i'll be the only person there! i won't be going out in the nip on to the shop floor!!
flor Posts: 1621
i would say, have a chat with your dad when you get him on his own & tell him you don't expect him to come as you think it could be a long day better suited to just the girls & that you wouldn't want him to feel uncomfortable or bored (& that you'd feel more comfortable & less stressed out). tell him you will let him know when you have eventually found 'the one' if he would still like to contribute. he'll probably be grateful that you let him off the hook!! as for your mum, i'd personally tread a little more carefully as i think (though i could be wrong) that she might like to be included in the excitement & might feel a bit resentful if she's left out. just remember not to let her 'rain on your parade' if you've found someting you really like! if you like it & feel comfortable in it then tell her that & stick to your guns on it!!! maybe bring along a friend as well whose opinion you trust in order to balance things out for you. it will prob take more than one trip to find what you are looking for anyway so you might get away with not bringing her along every time. & remember, the assistants in the vast majority of shops know what they are doing & will be able to help you narrow down your search. good luck!! :o)ll
Thansk for the advice but to be honest they would be really hurt if i said anything like that to them. they have been amazing about the whole wedding not like some of the nightmares i read about on here, they havent made any demands on me at all apart from just sort of assuming they are coming along dress shopping. Ive just booked somewhere nice to take them for lunch in between shops and make sure we get some wine in to us. I think ill just have to make sure I dont get swayed too much by my mum and stick to my guns about what I think looks good. and tell my dad to go for coffee and Ill call him when im in something worth looking at!