Wedding Dresses - Worth the price tag?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

macattack Posts: 1617
Posting this here as this where a lot of married wollies hang out. Inspired by thread in LOS. I'm not married yet but I've got my dress & have paid for it. Went through a stage of hating it but now that I have it I love it again. I literally cannot wait to wear it & think about it way too much. Infact I'd say I'm obsessive about it, dream about it, you name it! What I want to know is - is it worth it? Will I wake up the day after the wedding & think "I can't believe I spent £1000 on a dress"? What was your experience?
MizMelanie Posts: 1443
I've never regretted spending the money on my dress. It was just under 2k and worth every cent. I have since dyed it black but haven't had an occasion special enough to wear it to yet. I mentioned it briefly to a friend and she was like "I swear, if you show up at my wedding in your vera wang dress, I'll murder you" :o0 In fairness, it looks completely different now! I loved it from the beginning - I made some alterations to it but never regretted the decision to buy it!
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
I think it is worth the price tag. Mine wasn't overly expensive but I am happy with the price I paid. It's all relative I suppose. I know some people would think what I spent was madness - others will think it was a bargain. There were other aspects of my wedding I prioritised over my dress in terms of expenditure.
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
[quote="MizMelanie":1fboa73x]I've never regretted spending the money on my dress. It was just under 2k and worth every cent. I have since dyed it black but haven't had an occasion special enough to wear it to yet. I mentioned it briefly to a friend and she was like "I swear, if you show up at my wedding in your vera wang dress, I'll murder you" :o0 In fairness, it looks completely different now! I loved it from the beginning - I made some alterations to it but never regretted the decision to buy it![/quote:1fboa73x] Ooooh would love to see a pic MizMelanie - that's a great idea!
MizMelanie Posts: 1443
I'll post one once I've worn it! I have a black tie valentine's ball actually to go to so I might wear it then. Mine was easy to dye as it was silk and it's slinky etc so it's not a big dress. Have to say I'm very excited to wear it again!! :o)ll
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I loved my dress. I won't ever wear it again but every now and again I sneek a peek and I still love it. I was really firm with myself when I was dress shopping and I didn't bother trying on dresses above my budget. It was worth the price to me, I had the money saved and I loved the figure the dress gave me as well has how good I felt in it. I love the photos of me in it and hubs still says how much he loved it. So for me it was worth every penny. That said, I know what its like to be on a budget so if I'd had to make cutbacks or had a smaller budget I'd have gotten a dress within that budget. I guess its all about what you can afford, but looking at my dress in a heap the next morning made me really glad I hadn't paid thousands for it!
hayden Posts: 136
How do you go about dying dress??
macattack Posts: 1617
Thanks girls. Don't get me wrong. I can afford my dress in that I could've paid for it up front and I didn't have to sacrifice any other aspect of my wedding to have it but £1k is still a lot of money to me. ACS I get what you're saying about being glad that you didn't spend thousands. I really hope I don't wake up the next day and kick myself!
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I loved my dress - worth every single cent!!
babybabybaby Posts: 115
I love my dress and also peek at it every now and again but I still think that it was an awful lot of money to spend on a dress for one day. If I could dye it and get some more wear out of it I wouldn't mind at all, I'd love to be able to wear it again.