What time do you invite people for the afters?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jennatall Posts: 30
Hey all. I'm doing up some invitations for the night do but I'm not sure when to tell people to come. If speeches are after dinner, do you invite them for that? Say if dinner is at 5:30, do you think inviting night guests for 7:30 is ok? Actually, while I'm on a roll, how do you know what time to make dinner for? Our ceremony is at 1:30. Is 5:30 appropriate? Any help appreciated! Jenn
smiley08 Posts: 825
i think 8pm is the norm
smiley08 Posts: 825
sorry forgot to add that i think 4 hours between the start of the wedding and sitting down to the meal is sufficient. I remember a photographer telling me this once to allow four hours from walking up the aisle to sitting down for your meal for photos etc so if your ceremony is at 1.30pm you are probably looking at 5.30pm to sit down for the meal.
jennatall Posts: 30
Thanks for the speedy reply! :)
Mar08 Posts: 310
we went for 8.30 cos it will be about 9 when people actually get there!
2crazy Posts: 1478
We're getting married at 1.30 also and the hotel recommended we do dinner for 5.30/6, we went with six to allow some time for us to stop off on the way for photo. We are hoping to invite people for 8 allowing them an extra hour to get to hotel as DJ starts at 9
Anonymous Posts: 24542
[quote="Mar08":3eo5wsn0]we went for 8.30 cos it will be about 9 when people actually get there![/quote:3eo5wsn0] yea, thats actually what we thought as well
Shannoncailin Posts: 1038
We were told 9pm.
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="jennatall":3p2987hl]If speeches are after dinner, do you invite them for that? [/quote:3p2987hl] Nope, cos they'd have nowhere to sit. There's nothing worse than arriving at an afters only to discover that dinner/speeches are still going on. You feel like such an interloper! I'd definitely err on the side of caution and go for a later invitation than 7:30. I would have thought 9 was the norm.
Tic Toc Croc Posts: 3710
I think 9 is teh norm as well