When should I go dress shopping?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

jdawg Posts: 171
Hi there! I got engaged a couple of months ago and we've set the date for July of next year. Just wondering when I should go dress shopping. I was at home at the weekend and girl from home told me I should really get started now. I thought I'd be fine to start looking around Oct! TBH I'm entirely freaked out by the thoughts of going any time soon. I'm about a size 16 and want to drop at least two dress sizes before the wedding. I honestly don't think I'd feel comfortable trying on dresses right now as I personally hate my figure! The diet has begun but it's gonna take some time. Basicallly, do I have time? Should I be looking already? I have my heart set on something lacy and Maggie Sottero dresses are the ones I love the most (in photos). Thanks in advance for the help ladies :thnk
StupidSexyFlanders Posts: 8402
I would have assumed a year before the wedding would be plenty of time to start looking but was talking to another B2B at the weekend who had just ordered hers and was told it would be 6 - 8 months before the dress even arrived, then any alterations that were required would be on top of that. Factor in the time spent looking for the dress before ordering it, I'd say you should probably start having a look now! By the way though, have to say I thought 6-8 months sounded crazy when she told me
littlemissus Posts: 481
If I were u I would start looking in the summer which would be a year to the wedding, the whole dress shopping thing can be a long process sometimes. You might think that u like a particular style dress now but u really dont know until u try them on and by the time u pick the one and order it then it is about 6mths for it to come in after that.... also bear in mind that most shops are fairly booked up for appointments on Saturdays (if thats the day that suits u) and these have to be booked well in advance at least a month before even id say. Suss out dresses online in the meantime thats what i did....
vinoqueeno Posts: 3511
[quote="jdawg":7vjz03be]Hi there! I got engaged a couple of months ago and we've set the date for July of next year. Just wondering when I should go dress shopping. I was at home at the weekend and girl from home told me I should really get started now. I thought I'd be fine to start looking around Oct! TBH I'm entirely freaked out by the thoughts of going any time soon. I'm about a size 16 and want to drop at least two dress sizes before the wedding. I honestly don't think I'd feel comfortable trying on dresses right now as I personally hate my figure! The diet has begun but it's gonna take some time. Basicallly, do I have time? Should I be looking already? I have my heart set on something lacy and Maggie Sottero dresses are the ones I love the most (in photos). Thanks in advance for the help ladies :thnk[/quote:7vjz03be] Hi! I know exactly how you feel. I got engaged last October and we're getting married next April in Portugal. I'm enjoying all the planning of the wedding, but, like you I was dreading the actual dress shopping as I've quite a bit of weight put on over the last few years - I was getting more excited about finding bridesmaid's dresses than my own! However, at some stage you just have to realise that you just have to get on with it so I went with an aunt & cousin this week to 2 bridal shops and surprisingly enough I actually quite enjoyed it! Granted there were certain styles of dresses that made me look like mutton dressed as lamb but I was quite surprised at what I actually liked. I also made a conscious decision to go shopping with a completely open mind. I'm quite broad on top so wasn't too pushed about trying on strapless but I actually tried a few of those on as well just to keep the peace. I'd say make an appointment over the next couple of weeks and bring someone who won't be too judgemental or harsh with you but who's quite practical too. The first one's probably going to be the most nerve-wrecking but it does also get quite exciting! They do recommend leaving at least 6-8 months before the wedding to allow for ordering it in and alterations etc. Good luck with it all and enjoy it x!
Urban Fairy Posts: 3987
Hiya!! We're getting married in September next year and I'd say I'll start looking around July-Sept this year.. depending if the mood takes me or not!
DaisyB Posts: 1708
hiya congrats.. im getting married next july aswell!! i have my dress already it wont be in untill 6 weeks before the wedding as the shop give the designer my wedding date so desiger has it ready for 6 weeks before! u defo would have plenty of time starting to look this summer or even oct thats a whole 9 months before!!! :wv
jdawg Posts: 171
Thanks ladies! All advice is greatly appreciated! Jaysus, I haven't a clue how I'd plan the wedding without this site! :thnk
walkingwollie Posts: 3344
As soon as possible! Good luck!