Menu

When should I tell new boss Im pg?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Winter B2B Posts: 3494
I've started a parttime temp job. I wasn't too concerned about telling them as Contract was only for Christmas period until 8th Jan. However now she says theres a permanent job available. I cant see them giving pg lady permanent job but I dont want them to cut temporary contract short as I need to work until January to get maternity benefit. Any opinions?
MRS NYEB2007 Posts: 3275
have you to interview for the permanent position or is it yours? If is yours I would accept, and just as you are signing the contract inform them of pregnancy - out of decency surely they couldn't turn you down then.
ninja next Posts: 1548
If they are offering it to you I would tell them that you would love the position but are pregnent and would this be a problem? Maybe they could keep you on in a temp basis untill you are due to go on mat leave.
libramoon Posts: 2402
[quote="Winter B2B":3gjf44ul] I cant see them giving pg lady permanent job but I dont want them to cut temporary contract short as I need to work until January to get maternity benefit.[/quote:3gjf44ul] Legally they can't not offer you the job if you say you are pregnant and they can't cut your contract hours either esp if it states on it that its up to Jan. If I were you I'd do as Mrs NYEB2007 said and tell them when you're signing your contract but it would be purely out of decency as you are under NO obligation to tell them you are pregnant. There is no point asking them if its a problem if you are pregnant as by law they can't tell you it is a problem!
Thanks girls. Think I'll try and do what NYEB2007 suggested. I know legally they shouldn't allow the fact Im pg play apart in whether I get the permanent job or not, unfortunately I am abit cynical considering I was laid off from my last job because 'I had swand off for 9 months' while everyone was still there working away! Im not really showing at the moment (can still cover it up) but not sure if I'll be able to cover it up until January!
libramoon Posts: 2402
[quote="Winter B2B":4kc8w736] I was laid off from my last job because 'I had swand off for 9 months' while everyone was still there working away![/quote:4kc8w736] Did they actually say that to you in your last job??? :eek You should have got yourself some legal advice as that sounds like unfair dismissal and they can't say or do anything to you contract wise etc in this new job either so don't let them! [i:4kc8w736]Unfair dismissals A dismissal is considered to be automatically unfair if the employee is dismissed for any of the following reasons: Membership or proposed membership of a trade union or engaging in trade union activities, whether within permitted times during work or outside of working hours Religious or political opinions Legal proceedings against an employer where an employee is a party or a witness Race, colour, sexual orientation, age or membership of the Traveller community [b:4kc8w736] Pregnancy, giving birth or breastfeeding or any matters connected with pregnancy or birth Availing of rights under legislation to maternity leave, adoptive leave, carer's leave, parental or force majeure leave[/b:4kc8w736] Unfair selection for redundancy [/i:4kc8w736]
[quote="libramoon":897rneo8] Did they actually say that to you in your last job??? :eek You should have got yourself some legal advice as that sounds like unfair dismissal and they can't say or do anything to you contract wise etc in this new job either so don't let them! [/quote:897rneo8] Ye they said this. They had to let someone at my level go and said they couldn't let any of the others go(all men) ahead of me since I swand off for 9 months while the rest were working hard. I'm taking a case against then, currently awaiting a date for court. The company are doing very badly, im just hoping that they will hang on long enough for case to go through. Unfortunately taking a case has already been very expensive because of this it makes it easy for company to ignor the law as soneone who has just been laid off won't be willing to use their redundancy money on following the company incase they lose.