When was your first scan???

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

aglorgleanbh Posts: 103
Hi ladies, Was onto gyne today and found out that first appointment is at 14 weeks. I thought that was very late?? For some reason had it in my head that would have scan at 8 weeks so bit disappointed. Also starting to think are 3 extra scans worth 3000 euro- paying her 1000 euro per scan pretty much as she could be at the birth or not!! I know you would have scans with maternity hospital aswell but will they be before 14 weeks?? Just wondering when yer first scans were and did ye only get 3 with the gyne? Thanks :thnk
Littlepud Posts: 945
i'm going public so i cant really help you with the extra scans but we had our first one at 13 weeks. its seems to be the norm now
Aventine Posts: 228
We had first scan at 13 weeks too. The first scan is usually from week 12 on, unless you go for a private one.
Daff Posts: 11644
I'm public this time in HS and was semi there last time - the only scan you're guarenteed is at 20 weeks :ooh but they usually do one around 16 weeks to make sure pregnancy is 'viable'. We got private scans done in Ultrasound Dimensions and they were brilliant there. Got it done at 7 and 12 weeks on both and got a 3D scan done at 28 weeks on DD and will do the same for this LO too. Yes they are expensive but I felt totally worth it for the reasurance it gave me - especially this time after a MC just before my BFP.
Momof2 Posts: 3884
I've gone public both times on 1st pregnancy my first scan was 16weeks but I had a scan at 10weeks privately. On this pregnancy my first public scan was at 8weeks, I was scanned again at 12weeks and 20weeks.
aglorgleanbh Posts: 103
Hey girls Thanks for the posts! :thnk Great to know! Daffoil mummy thanks for info re ultrasound.ie. Think it might be worth it, just to make sure all is well. Can they tell you much at 7-8 weeks? Last question re this, promise!! :wv nearly mum of 2, you were really lucky with the scans you got when you went public. Wouldn't go for gyne if would be guaranteed those scans.
tbh you just see a blob :o0 but you can also see a heartbeat at that stage and once that's detected your risk of MC drastically drops so more adds to peace of mind and made it all the more real for DH.
Momof2 Posts: 3884
yeah I have been very lucky they used a small scanner on me again at my 28 week appointment and on my 1st pregnancy I had a 2 bed room so I personally wouldn't go private. The care I've received publicly has been excellent
StarXX Posts: 141
[quote="daffodil mummy ":3ssewlsd]I'm public this time in HS and was semi there last time - the only scan you're guarenteed is at 20 weeks :ooh but they usually do one around 16 weeks to make sure pregnancy is 'viable'. We got private scans done in Ultrasound Dimensions and they were brilliant there. Got it done at 7 and 12 weeks on both and got a 3D scan done at 28 weeks on DD and will do the same for this LO too. Yes they are expensive but I felt totally worth it for the reasurance it gave me - especially this time after a MC just before my BFP.[/quote:3ssewlsd] Daffodil Mummy - did you need a GP referral letter for your scan? xx
no, cause it's private you can just call up and book an appointment!