Why do I find the hospital/labour bag so complicated!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
Is this a daft question or what but everyone says bring a vest, babygro and nappy for the baby. But what how do you change nappy without wipes/cotton wool etc? Does hospital provide those things? Do you use wipes on a new baby or just cotton wool? Do you change baby on your bed? God it's so complicated!! :eek
sinion Posts: 6050
I was told not to use wipes on newborn as their skin is so sensitive, to only use cotton wool and water so I've packed a small bag of cotton wool. I know how you feel, I found the labour/hospital bag packing incredibly hard too, I'm still not sure that I have everything but i've decided that if I suddenly realise I need something I don't have while I'm in there at worst it's just a case of asking the hospital for it or someone popping out and getting it for you. My bags have been in the back of the car for the last two weeks and I have to keep stopping myself from going to them and changing things!
sunnyside Posts: 3164
Hey Sinion Are you trying any tricks to get baby to make an appearance?? I can't imagine being at that stage - you must be so excited and frustrated at the same time. Ooooooohhh I'm so excited for you :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
I'm trying EVERYTHING! Honestly, wait til you get to this stage/size and try dtd, it really is very comical :o0
chicam Posts: 1169
Hi Sunnyside - I'm an unfortunate bugger in that I can't use cotton wool so no matter what the midwives say to me I won't be going near the stuff to change baby, I've bought Pampers sensitive wipes & Simple sensitive & my own midwife said these would be fine. I've packed sudocrem & talc in my 'main' bag as well just in case they're needed - I have had a sudden panic that if I don't bring everything they'll think I'm a numpty in the hospital! I don't know the answer to if you change the baby on the bed, but having had a tour around my maternity ward I am taking a guess that you do, so I'm packing a little changing mat also.
Jeidi Posts: 3128
[quote="Sinion":3bksh8oe]I'm trying EVERYTHING! Honestly, wait til you get to this stage/size and try dtd, it really is very comical :o0[/quote:3bksh8oe] mmmm Interesting.... you could try eating an indian? My friend has a 3 years old and my other friend has a 3 year old and an 18 mth. My sister has a 2 week old girl. All went over their due date.... I came along and took them out for an indian and THE NEXT DAY they went into labour. I kid you not. It wasnt even anything spicey... just a normal korma or tikka massala. So if you're around Waterford give me a shout!
chicam Posts: 1169
Best of luck Sinion, I hope it happens soon for ya!!
Hmm, i've tried a really spicy chinese and mexican but not an indian, will give it a go tonight!
goodwoman Posts: 8
the midwives in hosp dont recommend wipes for newborns, just use cotton wool and water, although when I got home from hosp my PHN said there was no reason why we couldnt use sensitive wipes esp for really poo-ey nappies,it makes the whole process quicker. we changed the baby in the cot they sleep in rather than the bed but i dont think it should matter
Me Julia Posts: 1352
the hospital provided cotton wool for you. I would strongly recommend you stick to that and not wipes for newborns. I changed her on the bed on the changing matt that came with my changing bag and a muslin cloth and towel underneath. Beware of projectile poo fling onto your hospital bed though, that i was NOT prepared for!!!!! She even covered my nightdress in it the little monkey!!