Women in the windows??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

miss choc Posts: 1270
Does anyone know why some Dubs have those tacky white statues of women on all their windows is there an old custom, superstition?? I was on boards one day and LOL at this I always thought, those statues were some sort of wife swapping symbol "look my wife is naked waiting for your" type thing. dorset street and finglas seem to be covered in them :o0 others actually thought it was a brothel symbol :eek I've seen a few grannies with them so I hope it isn't
CestMoi Posts: 2162
don't know? is it the child of prague? I know people put that in their windows for good weather... Describe what it looks like (religious / modern / colour??)
macsmissus Posts: 928
I know the ones you're talking about - they're really tacky looking. Don't think it's a religious thing. It's white colored statue of a lady leaning back.
newmammy2011 Posts: 1255
It can not be the Child of Prague statue, anyone with an ounce of common sense no matter how thick they were would cob on it something perhaps religious. You should knock on door of one the houses you see this white thingy and ask them.
macsmissus Posts: 928
Scroll to the end of this post and you can see them in the window... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055290625
[quote="frances78":k8ku74n5]It can not be the Child of Prague statue, anyone with an ounce of common sense no matter how thick they were would cob on it something perhaps religious. You should knock on door of one the houses you see this white thingy and ask them.[/quote:k8ku74n5] Jeez sorry! I was just answering the post, and I did ask the OP to describe it better too. Therefore I assumed she knew it wasn't the child of prague already! Don't you think she didn't want to knock on the door, and that's why she asked here?
Sorry OP, just looked at the picture and never seen or heard of them before. The house is way too tacky too! I'm off now before I get the head bitten off me again! Hope you find out what they are! :o0
whitedaisy Posts: 761
I dont think there is any purpose behind them at all except decoration!! I wouldnt have them in my windows, but I wouldnt slate anyone who did...my granny used to have an ornament kind of thing in each window, I think it might be an old fashioned thing!
wah Posts: 1414
:o0 :o0 I know the ones, there are bloody awful :o0 :o0 And people don't stop at one if they have them, there if every window of the house thats visable to the public :eek :eek This is going to sound very snobby which i'm so not but it is in certain areas they seem to be the going thing :-8
newmammy2011 Posts: 1255
[quote="mrsmcg2b":3a6jbprl]Scroll to the end of this post and you can see them in the window... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthre ... 2055290625[/quote:3a6jbprl] :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek Good God WTF, these monstrosities are awful looking. Imagine your house being pictured with them in the window :eek cringe cringe the shame :o0 :o0 . I still havent a clue what they are reading that thread link above they are bought in Parnell Street. Why they have to be displayed in every window :o0 :o0 I dont know.