1. Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Stevie Wonder – It’s fairly obvious why this is a great song for a wedding, not just how appropriate it is lyrically, but also the fact that all age groups know this song and it’s got a brilliant groove to boogie to! A sure-fire hit every time, I’m always surprised at how many different generations hit the floor whenever we play it.
2. Get Lucky by Daft Punk ft. Pharrell Williams – This song is infectious on the dance floor, it’s impossible not to groove to it, even if you’re not a dancer! Every time we play this, the whole floor sings all the words, and it has a timeless disco feel even though it’s a modern song, so it ticks all boxes for the different ages, and sits really well in any set.
3. Let’s Dance by David Bowie – One of our most popular requests, Let’s Dance always gets the crowd started and brings ‘non-dancers’ out of hiding even if only for a little while! A well-loved 80s hit that everyone knows.
4. Kiss by Prince – We like to play this one later in the night with a lot of our pop and soul sandwiched around it. What I love most about performing this track is that it pulls the mums, and aunties, and grannies onto the floor and they always give it socks – this song is just a must for dusting off your dancing shoes!
5. Pencil Full of Lead by Paolo Nutini – What’s brilliant about this track is that it sounds like an old swing record from the 40s but it’s actually a really recent hit! Young and old love this song and it’s really fun and high energy.
6. Tribute by Tenacious D – If you’re into rock music and lots of your friends are too, this is an amazing song to get your band to play at your wedding. We’ve had it requested numerous times for couples that love to rock out, and it holds the record for getting the most people at a wedding to sing every single word from start to finish!
7. Fishermans Blue’s by The Waterboys – We play this regularly, and have even played it as a first dance. There’s something so special about this song, it’s full of romance, and mystery, with unbelievable hooks to boot! Great for families that love their Irish music, and folk rock.
8. All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor – Another song that works across all ages, this is brilliant to watch as the ladies stream onto the dance floor! Fun, lovely and lively.
9. Twist And Shout by The Beatles – It’s a great idea to have at least one twisting song in your set. Kids love to see their older dance partners try and show them how it’s done, and I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t know this song – a super choice for everyone.
10. Should I Stay or Should I Go by The Clash – If you’re looking for high energy, then you’re looking for this song! It’s great towards the end of the night when the dance floor is full, and often persuades the guys who haven’t really had a boogie yet to hit the floor and jump up and down as many times as possible in 3 minutes! Just brilliant fun, and an instant hit.
I would play any of these songs when coming into the last 20 minutes of the night to really get everyone out to celebrate with the happy couple!
1. Footloose – Kenny Loggins
2. Walk of Life – Dire Straits
3. Maniac 2000 – Mark McCabe
4. Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars
5. Shut up and Dance – Walk the Moon
6. Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing
7. Give Me Everything – Pitbull
8. Simply the Best – Tina Turner
9. Never Forget – Take That
10. 500 Miles – The Proclaimers
Call Me Al by Paul Simon – Simply known and loved by everyone. Watch your dance floor fill for this one! People instinctively form a dance train during this song with no encouragement whatsoever! Always baffles us but it’s great fun!!
Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon – While only a few years old, this song has become a huge anthem among both young and old. It always works and fills the dance floor to breaking point! If the floor is full before we play this, then this lifts the roof off! Watch out! Ha!
Never Forget by Take That – We usually ask our audience to gather around in a circle with our Bride & Groom in the middle while we play this song. The verses build to a huge chorus where everyone sings along at the top of their voices for the newlyweds. We even drop out from playing during one or two choruses to feel the volume and passion of the audience singing along!! Hair raising stuff! We love playing this one!
Proud Mary by Tina Turner – A classic dance floor filler that always works and gets the crowd moving and dancing along to. With the quiet slow song start, it soon builds into a super flow of upbeat lyrics and it’s guaranteed to get all your guests foot tapping and dancing along as they’re ‘rolling on the river’!!
Pamela enjoys writing about all things decor (she loves buying it too) and has a not so secret addiction to stationery. Her favourite section on the site is the galleries section (too many pretty images to choose from), and she can often be found lurking in the fashion and beauty forums as well.