When you go to your first viewing of a venue, you should bring a list of questions to ask your wedding venue and get through as many as possible so that you get a complete idea of how your wedding will turn out there. Feel free to actually bring a list and take notes, don’t worry about how you will look as wedding coordinators get it all the time (and they love their lists!) And to make life even easier for you, we’ve included a handy downloadable link so you can print off the questions and bring them to your viewings…
• Do you have our date free?
• Do you have a policy of only one wedding per day?
• What is your minimum/maximum number of guests for sit down meal?
• Do you have a wedding package? What is included in each package? Are your packages flexible? How much are your packages?
• Do you have a wedding coordinator? Will he/she be there on the day of the wedding?
• Do you have a license to hold civil ceremonies at your venue?
• Is the venue available for exclusive use? If so is there a minimum amount of guests that have to book accommodation for exclusivity?
• Will other weddings be taking place at the venue on the same day?
• How many extra guests can be accommodated in the evening?
• What time will our guests have to leave the venue?
• Where does the band set up? Where is the dancefloor/how big is it/does anything have to be moved for the dancefloor?
• Can we hire our own DJ?
• Do you have a PA system for speeches?
• Is there a night curfew/noise level restrictions?
• Is there complimentary accommodation for the bride and groom?
• Can the bridal party get ready at the venue on the day of the wedding?
• Is there accommodation for guests? How many rooms? What price is it per room?
• What is parking like in the area? Are the guests allowed to leave their cars overnight?
• What type of tables do you have (shape, size, top table)?
• Is any decor/stationery provided (menus, centrepieces, red carpet, flowers, cake stand)? Are there alternatives available?
• Can we bring our decorations to the venue the day before?
• Can we see the room(s) set up for a wedding?
• Will there be a toastmaster/somebody to announce us to the reception and guide the guests around?
• Is it possible to have candles burning during the ceremony/reception?
• Is it possible to have fireworks in the evening?
Food & Drink
• How much is the house wine and/or champagne for toasting? Can we bring our own wine?
• Do you charge corkage?
• Can we avail of a menu tasting? If so, what does the menu tasting cost?
• Do you cater for special dietary requirements?
• How are guests received? Where do guests meet before going into the main room?
• How long should we allow for pre-reception drinks?
• What time is the meal served?
• How is the main meal served?
• Is there an option for dinner the night before or a BBQ the day after?
• What is on the evening menu? What price is it per head?
• Are we allowed to hire our own caterer?
• Is there a possibility of a bar extension? If so, how much will it cost?
• Is it possible to play music during the meal? Is there a sound system for an iPod/CD? Can a member of staff take care of this?
• Can we use the wedding cake as dessert?
• How much is the deposit?
• What percentage is paid before the wedding/after the wedding?
• When would we need to give final numbers?
• What costs are incurred if the numbers on the day differ to the final numbers?
• Are there any changes planned to the building before the wedding (renovations, painting etc)?
• Where is the best place to take photos in/near the venue?
• Is there a designated smoking area for the guests?
• Is your venue wheelchair accessible?
• Do you have weather contingency plans for an outdoor wedding? Are there extra costs?
• Is there a secure place to store wedding gifts?
• What is your cancellation policy/charges?
Please add anymore questions you think couples should ask their venue in the comment section below!
Image courtesy of Ballymagarvey Village
The following two tabs change content below.
Former editor, current contributor, (she just can't let go!) Karen enjoys writing fashion but is known to dabble in decor from time to time. Her favourite section on the site is the Real Wedding section, followed closely by the Health & Fitness forums.