Wedding Spend Up Nearly 10% According to New Irish Wedding Survey
weddingsonline, the country’s most popular wedding website have just announced the findings of their latest Irish wedding survey. It was based on over 1,200 participants and took place in January 2019.
The average total budget for an Irish wedding including the honeymoon stands at €28,462 with couples allocating on average €14,313 to their dream venue.
58% of couples surveyed struggled to stay within budget, with 17% spending over 5K more than they had planned to.
When it comes to choosing their ideal suppliers and venues, couples say that reviews are the most important factor. Only 21% stated that price was the most important factor.
This year’s findings from the weddingsonline survey capture the current attitudes towards weddings in Ireland.
- The average budget for a wedding including honeymoon is €28,462, up from last year’s €26,015. This is an increase of 9.4%.
- Friday and Saturday are still the most popular days for weddings (81%), with Thursday next in line for popularity.
- Two thirds of weddings take place between May and September and in December, with August being the most popular month.
- The most popular month to pop the question is December (24%), with October in second place. Engagements are very evenly spread throughout the rest of the year.
- Couples are enjoying longer engagements with a massive 30% of engaged couples waiting more than 2 years to get married compared to 27% last year. The average engagement length is 19.8 months.
- Religious ceremonies are still the most popular (61%), however, they are down 3% on last year while civil and humanist ceremonies are on the rise.
- On average couples invite 161 guests to their Big Day.
- Half of the money spent on weddings was from savings and the rest of the money came equally from parents, loans and gifts.
- 58% of couples surveyed went over budget with 17% spending over 5K more than they had intended to.
- The average age for brides tying the knot is 32 years of age while the groom’s average age is 34 years of age.
- On average, brides choose 3 bridesmaids and grooms opt for 3 groomsmen.
- 68% of couples chose to have flower girls.
- The hotel venue remains the most popular choice at 68%, followed by the country house and restaurants at 21% and then castles at 9%.
- 37% of couples surveyed have their speeches before the meal. 4% opt to have no speeches at all.
- More and more brides are opting to say a few words with 29% giving a speech.
- The Top 6 wedding counties are Meath (10%), Kildare (8.5%), Dublin (6%), Wicklow (6%), Cork (6%), and Galway (5.5%).
- 94% of couples honeymoon abroad with 56% waiting a few months after the wedding before they head off on their honeymoon.
- Almost half of couples enjoy a mini-moon in Ireland directly after their wedding.
- The average cost of a honeymoon is €5,643.
- The most popular honeymoon destinations are the Maldives, USA, Mexico, Italy and South Africa.
- 98% of couples source venues and wedding suppliers online.
- The most important factor for couples when booking a venue and wedding suppliers is online reviews. Only 21% said that price was the most important factor
- 67% of the couples surveyed paid for accommodation for parents, 48% paid for accommodation for the bridal party and 19.50% didn’t pay for anyone!
For further information please contact:
01 905 9680
Main image: Ruth Foran