Advice Please!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SparklyB2B Posts: 1131
Am in total shock... just got a text message from a girl I used to be good friends with up until about 2 yrs ago when she went off the rails.. Text is as follows, Hi X , I am really sorry you but I am desperate. I split up from my boyfriend last mth & he is refusing to give any financial support to me & my daughter. I am short €500 for our rent this month & we are going to be kicked out of our Appartment if I cant come up with this in the next few days. Can you please help - myself & my daughter are going to be homeless otherwise. What the hell do I do, do I give her the money??
Satine Posts: 790
Oh my god!! Thats a strange text to get 2 years on! Does she have any family or close friends?
She doesnt have any family or real friends after she chose to take alot of drugs when she was pregnant... I dont know what to do... I have the money but am scared she will just spend it on drugs!!
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
No dont give it to her. Tell her to go to her local welfare officer if she is that desperate
jellywellies Posts: 2268
If you are scared she will spend it on drugs - don't give it to her. Just tell her that you've a wedding coming up etc and dont have the spare cash
Satine Posts: 790
That's an awful situation she put you in. Well I agree with the other posters, if she's gonna use it on drugs, then I'd say no too.
I just feel so bad for her daughter... To cut a long story short, I became friends with her a good few yrs back - she was a friend of a friend at the time and over time I got to know her really well.. and about 2 yrs ago she started to mix with the wrong crowd through where she worked and things turned pretty sour... I have not & never will be ever part of a group of friends that are involved in the drug scene.. When she found out she was pregnant she continued to take drugs.. I remember her telling us after we bumped into her on a nite out that she was pregnant & proceeded to offer us a "couple of lines of coke". when a couple of us were in the bathroom... At the time I remember saying what the hell are you doing you are pregnant & her response was sure its grand its early days the baby wont be affected.. I know this sounds a bit like a soap opera girls but it is the truth.... since that nite I hadn't spoken to her & tonite is the first time I have heard from her... I am tempted to say leave your daughter with us while you sort yourself out as it really hurts me to think there is a child suffering in all this mess
zoey Posts: 1574
You poor thing - that really is a tough situation. Could you try ringing her to see what the situation really is. Suggest to her that she contact her family asking for their help. If she's prepared to give up drugs and sort herself out they might want a chance to help her and her daughter make a better life for themselves. BUT.... if she has no intention of giving up the drugs maybe you have to consider contacting social services yourself for the sake of her daughter. I know it's the worst case scenario but that little baby may need to be put into foster care because a mother on drugs would not be able to care for her properly. If you haven't seen her in such a long time yet she still sent you that message she has probably sent that text to a lot of other people. Do you know anyone else in the circle that you could get in touch with and between the two of you might come up with some sort of solution. Good luck with it. Let us know how you get on. Zoey :lvs
So called a couple of people today to do a bit on investigating... turns out the child is already in care & she is trying to pull a fast one to try to get money to feed her habit. How disgusting is that O:| O:| Was up half the night worrying
blushingb2b Posts: 219
:eek OMG That is sick :ooh How can anyone use their child like that? Have you heard anymore from her?