All day Antenatal Class

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Just rang to book in for a Saturday class...decided to go in September the lady has one on in July but thats far too soon for us. Its €170 per couple with lunch 9.15am to 4pm what do you guys think?
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Dora is that a privately run one? Have seen a few private ones costing 150 per couple alright. Ours is through the hospital (Drogheda) and only costs 12 euros per person for the day! Is so cheap we are wondering if we should do a private one also...where is yours on?
The hospital does a day one?I wonder does Holles Street,I got this lady's number from the hospital as their classes are on weekdays and we both work so it would'nt suit-I might ring to double check though thats a huge difference in price... Its on in Knocklyon and the lady worked in Holles Street herself years ago and there is 8 couples per class. Im afraid it wont be enough though...think im going mad maybe I should go in July aswell??panic stations......
Tigletts Posts: 2904
Dolly, you know you're entitled to take time off work to attend antenatal classes? As is your DH afaik? I'm doing mine in the rotunda, and not paying. It is during the day though. I think it's better to do them in the hospital where you're actually giving birth. hth
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Sphynx I got the number of a midwife from Drogheda hosp who runs all day ones in Dunshaughlin. She costs €150 per couple incl lunch. I'll send you here details is you like. She sounds so nice on the phone. I haven't booked yet coz I'm going to check out the hospital one on Monday and then decide.
[quote="Tigletts":37xj5wb8]Dolly, you know you're entitled to take time off work to attend antenatal classes? As is your DH afaik? I'm doing mine in the rotunda, and not paying. It is during the day though. I think it's better to do them in the hospital where you're actually giving birth. hth[/quote:37xj5wb8] Yes I do know that but I think its too much hassle :-8 :-8 between leaving work and meeting with DH etc...and the traffic,it would be more of an nightmare and it would mean nearly a day off a week plus my hospital visits,DH is self employed so if he doesnt work he doesnt get paid! I know I give out about this hole so much but I feel kinda guilty asking for too mush time off ...im a nut case I know
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Tigs have you started the antenatal classes in the Rotunda. I'm due to go for my first one on Monday (after to mention it to the boss yet). What should I expect?? If you don't mind me asking
That's understandable Dolly, I just wanted to be sure you knew! It's not too bad for me as I can get time off fairly easily, and not too far from the hospital, and it would work out to be a half day, so far though I have just taken two days off as leave for appts, as I need to use up some holiday anyhow before going on mat leave.
Hi Rocket Queen, yes I did the first one in May, for some reason they put me down for the first one then, and the next (3 I think) will begin mid July. The first one was all about nutrition, exercises and a short talk from the midwife, but nothing about labour or anything, that'll be the next one !! God, I've a head like a sieve I can't remember what else there was but nothing much :-8
Sphynx Posts: 6795
Rocket Queen can you send me those details? Would be great to do a class with a midwife from the same hospital alright. I'm sure the hospital-run one will be enough but like Dora I wonder if one day enough to cover everything? Am going to do the couple's evening with Catherine in Ashbourne in July - she's running one in September also but was afraid it might be too late just in case I "go" early! Just covers breathing techniques and positions - not sure how much the boys will get out of it tbh but every little helps! Dora I'm not sure if every hospital does a one-day course but it would be worth checking.