Another angle on the shooting in Limerick furore

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Mistified Posts: 2680
Does anyone else think that the furore over the murder in Limerick is raising a christian moral question that his life is worth more than the lives of all the others who have been murdered before him in Limerick? Other kids who have got wrapped up in drugs or drug running and get on the wrong side of the thugs. They are sons and brothers too. What about the bouncer who was murdered a few years ago because he refused some of the crime gang into a club? His death got a lot of coverage but nothing like we're seeing now. All this emphasis on him being a memver of Garryowen, like that's relevant. I'm sure some of the people murdered before were members of sports clubs and organisations. Is is that because this murder has encroached into what I'm assuming is "middle-class society", that everyone is up in arms?? BTW, RIP to Shane and condolences to his family.
nelly Posts: 1875
oh i do agree - the poor and decent of moyross who work hadn't a hope trying to rear children - they wouldn't be rehoused and no wonder their children grew up with warped notions. There are decent people living in these no go areas as well and we need to understand this before sending the army on the streets.
mummyinlove10 Posts: 908
I kind of see where your coming from alright about middle class syndrome - terrible tragedy and condolences to his family. Its a bit like the Maddie thing I always said if Gerry & Kate had been from a council estate in Rotheram they would have had the twins taken from them for negligence leaving them alone in an apt while they wined and dined but it seems coz they were from a good back ground and were doctors the other cheek was turned
JuliaItaly Posts: 922
I can see your point mistified but I wouldn't agree with it. The reason this death has hit people more than most is because Shane had nothing to do with gangs, drugs, had zero involvement. There was outrage over Brian Fitzgerald but because he had been brave and stood up to the thugs, he got shot. It is just as sad as this death but people can see the reason why it happened Brian. This death was random and what's hitting people is that it could have been anyone, brothers, husbands, anyone. The gang element is therefore getting into innocent people's lives and us people of Limerick can no longer say, 'oh sur they are just killing each other, it doesn't affect us', that's the key to this. As for people getting involved in drugs etc because of where they live, what they were born into, that is a separate social problem and one that the government have responsibility to sort out. To be honest, I have much more sympathy for the likes of Shane then I do for these people (by those people I mean the thugs not the good people who live in these areas) but I recognise they are in a vicious circle too but I'm afraid my sympathy doesn't go further than that. That could be wrong of me, most likely is but that's my opinion. I really believe the responsibility is the governments. [quote="Mistified":1vdj2dp6]Does anyone else think that the furore over the murder in Limerick is raising a christian moral question that his life is worth more than the lives of all the others who have been murdered before him in Limerick? Other kids who have got wrapped up in drugs or drug running and get on the wrong side of the thugs. They are sons and brothers too. What about the bouncer who was murdered a few years ago because he refused some of the crime gang into a club? His death got a lot of coverage but nothing like we're seeing now. All this emphasis on him being a memver of Garryowen, like that's relevant. I'm sure some of the people murdered before were members of sports clubs and organisations. Is is that because this murder has encroached into what I'm assuming is "middle-class society", that everyone is up in arms?? BTW, RIP to Shane and condolences to his family.[/quote:1vdj2dp6]
nelly Posts: 1875
[quote="JuliaItaly":38t659ig]I really believe the responsibility is the governments. [/quote:38t659ig] you are wrong there - until there is no demand for drugs and nowhere safe for these guys to hide out they will get away with murder. The ordinary person needs to speak up more - who saw that car that was used in the shooting which was moved for 6 months (shaky on the details) who has seen it since - it drove about invisible? people need to be be brave and stand up and be protected by the gardai when they do.
I don't think I'm wrong, I think I've a valid point. The government built these estates without planning them and social problem arose as a result. I also completely agree that everyone who takes and buys drugs is responsible, absolutely. Ordinary people standing up for themselves? Protected by the Gardai? Do you honestly think that people wouldn't if they could? Every single person in Limerick would love to do it, it's not about bravery, the protection is simply not there. Gardai are intimidated, how would ordinary joe soap fare, I know exactly how they'd fare. The government has to do something, people can voice their hate and utter contempt for these people but until new laws are in force, it will remain as it is. [quote="nelly":2xhbnwje][quote="JuliaItaly":2xhbnwje]I really believe the responsibility is the governments. [/quote:2xhbnwje] you are wrong there - until there is no demand for drugs and nowhere safe for these guys to hide out they will get away with murder. The ordinary person needs to speak up more - who saw that car that was used in the shooting which was moved for 6 months (shaky on the details) who has seen it since - it drove about invisible? people need to be be brave and stand up and be protected by the gardai when they do.[/quote:2xhbnwje]
kingdom girl Posts: 955
[quote="Mistified":kn15ck0s]Does anyone else think that the furore over the murder in Limerick is raising a christian moral question that his life is worth more than the lives of all the others who have been murdered before him in Limerick? Other kids who have got wrapped up in drugs or drug running and get on the wrong side of the thugs. They are sons and brothers too. What about the bouncer who was murdered a few years ago because he refused some of the crime gang into a club? His death got a lot of coverage but nothing like we're seeing now. All this emphasis on him being a memver of Garryowen, like that's relevant. I'm sure some of the people murdered before were members of sports clubs and organisations. Is is that because this murder has encroached into what I'm assuming is "middle-class society", that everyone is up in arms?? BTW, RIP to Shane and condolences to his family.[/quote:kn15ck0s] I dont see the point of this thread. the man isnt even buried yet. the more publicity the better IMO I dont think anyone is saying one life is more important than the other. Its just that this is a more recent killing & the uproar is down to an accumulation of these murders. I do think his rubgy playing is relevant - it is who he was & that is why they are mentioning it, and also why members of other rugby clubs are going to his funeral. It would be the same for any person involved in any other society, be it GAA, IFA etc etc
Mistified Posts: 2680
^ I totally agree with you in relation to the clubs in that it would be the same no matter what club someone was involved in, but is he really the first person murdered who was the member of a club? It would appear so. I wonder if it was a snooker club would there be the same fuss made of it? Seems to me like the rugby thing is to suggest he is of a certain stock in society and thus we should all value his life more highly.
Kingdom Girl, you really need to understand what you are saying before you say it. You clearly have no idea who he was, his background and the mood in Limerick city at the moment because you are completely wrong with your assessment. Him playing rugby has nothing to do with this, nothing. I'm not getting into a slagging match with you about this on this thread but for you to say you don't see the point in this thread and then to continue on to say the out pouring is because he played rugby, who was at his funeral, is a silly insensitive comment and totally totally wrong. I dont see the point of this thread. the man isnt even buried yet. the more publicity the better IMO I dont think anyone is saying one life is more important than the other. Its just that this is a more recent killing & the uproar is down to an accumulation of these murders. I do think his rubgy playing is relevant - it is who he was & that is why they are mentioning it, and also why members of other rugby clubs are going to his funeral. It would be the same for any person involved in any other society, be it GAA, IFA etc etc[/quote]
fantac Posts: 4109
[quote="JuliaItaly":2bkfjwuq] The government has to do something, people can voice their hate and utter contempt for these people but until new laws are in force, it will remain as it is.[/quote:2bkfjwuq] what laws do you think are needed juliaitaly? i'm just interested cos i have ZERO confidence in our government and cant imagine them having the intelligence and ability to create legislation that would actually work in a situation like this. i think its terrifiying personally, but short of shooting about 500 people or shipping them off to live in an ice clad island in the bering sea wih no boat, i dont see how it can be stopped. and God I feel sorry for the ordinary decent folk of moyross, what an awful situation to have to bring up your children in. in response to the OP - i agree, a lot more is being heard about this than if it was a gang member who was killed. but i dont think there's anythng bad about that. shane sounds like a decent citizen, into his sport, paying his taxes, causing no great harm to anyone. personally i would be a lot more upset by someone like him being killed than some scummer drugged up gangland knacker.