Anybody Ever Done One

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

bridetobe2011 Posts: 154
Hiya, Im doing a parachute jump in the next couple of weeks and to be honest im literally tearing my hair out with my nerves. The only reason im doing it as it is for a very good cause. I will not climb into the attic of the house so you could just imagine me getting into a aircraft and jumping out 10,000 feet. OMG the thoughts of it. Has anyone done a jump and what did ye think off it.
Wispa Posts: 397
hi ya, i did a tandem jump where i was strapped to the instructor...and im terrified of heights! its grand, once your up in the plane you can't really refuse to jump, and the instructors are great at keeping you calm. the freefall is a bit bizarre cos the ground is so far away it dosent seem like its getting any closer cant say i really enjoyed it, but its definetly worth doing for the experience
happycontent2016 Posts: 464
hey, i did one over a lake in New Zealand. I hate flying and always vowed would never do one but was on the Kiwi bus touring around NZ and they were handing around booking form for it and before i knew it i put my name down and was jumping out of the plane about 2hours later!!!! It was amazing, if you can get a dvd of it def recommend it as i actually cant really remember it as the adrenalin was unreal. I would def recommend it. Good luck
newyearseve09 Posts: 95
Hey, It's definately worth doing, must say I was terrified going up in the plane but the way down was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I wouldn't do it again but would recommend everybody to do it once! Enjoy!!!
curliwurli Posts: 3369
i agree with the others, i wouldnt be in a hurry to do it again but i did feel totally exhilarated afterwards, it's a great feeling once you have it done.
mags s Posts: 591
my dh did one a few yrs ago and loved it. he loved the free fall bit. i got that for him one yr for a birhday pressie.
happyfiance Posts: 317
I did one at 12000ft in NZ and it was the best experience ever! Such a rush! Would def get it recorded coz later you wont believe ya did it! :)
JDD Posts: 1316
[quote="bridetobe2011":3cg985x1]Hiya, Im doing a parachute jump in the next couple of weeks and to be honest im literally tearing my hair out with my nerves. The only reason im doing it as it is for a very good cause. I will not climb into the attic of the house so you could just imagine me getting into a aircraft and jumping out 10,000 feet. OMG the thoughts of it. Has anyone done a jump and what did ye think off it.[/quote:3cg985x1] Are you doing it on your own or in tandem with the instructor. Believe me, it's not at all as scary as you'll have made it out to be in your head. I did one in Lake Tahoe in New Zealand as well, and I am someone that still gets dizzy on a bathmat. I hate heights, I hate jumping off anything, even one or two steps, I don't even really like escalators! :o0 Going up in the plane I was strangely calm, I guess my fear had gotten to levels it had never experienced before, so it just gave up bothering me. The only bit where I got scared was when we were just about to go off the edge. Your brain goes "WTF? What are we doing here? There's NO WAY I'm letting you jump out of this plane". But you don't even have to jump, the instructor that your strapped to just edges you out until you kind of tumble out of the plane. That's the only scary bit, about 20 seconds of "oh SH*T!" and then it's over before you know it. After the parachute goes up it's a breeze the rest of the way down. I'm not saying I'd ever do it again, but I'm very very glad I chose to do it. You'll get a great confidence boost for ages afterwards. It's not very often you get to face your fears like that.
bridetobe2011 Posts: 154
hi ye everyone sorry only getting back now was too lazy to switch on the lap top. I rang today to book in so we going doing it the 24th of this month. Yeah we going doing the tandem jump i dont think id physically able to do solo. I dont think im physically able to do the tandem We are doing the jump in clonbulloge in co offaly. I suppose the fear of god in me has worn down a small bit but that is not saying come the day off it i will prob scream and cry. My worst fear off it is going up in the plane and getting ready to jump as i have an awful fear of heights. Cant back out then. :o0 :o0