Anyone heard this re boozing before even starting TTC?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Grunge Bride Posts: 2529
Reading "Optimal Nutrition before during and after pregnancy" and one of the gems they've come out with is that boozing before you even start TTC can cause mutations in the sperm or egg which can lead to problems. Everyone ever heard this? I wonder is it anything to be concerned about..... This book is not a fun read for a newly pregnant lady!
silíní Posts: 4219
Think of how many babies would be in trouble if this was the case!!! Personally i got preg on wedding night, went through whole h oneymoon, drinking wine every day, then went on huge bender when i got home and THEN realised I was pregnant!!!!!!! AARRGGG. And our little girl is perfect...
mrs.smiffy Posts: 1747
I highly doubt it... ok it could affect the sperms if your partner would be an alcoholic and drink every day to excess but the normal drinks dont' harm the sperms.. in actual fact ours was conceived after we had a few bottles of wine - we weren't drunk but def not sober.... :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0 :o0
serenity Posts: 3675
I agree with the other girls... Grunge Bride, I really feel you should try to relax and not worry about everything and not believe everything you read.... One of my best friends did not know she was pregnant until 5 1/2 months, she was still getting a light period (which she always got), she drank, smoke and took painkillers all the way until she found out... She has the most perfect 1 1/2 year old boy ever.... Just think of the amount of people who drink and smoke not knowing they are pregnant.. Try not to read into too many things you are only causing yourself to stress needlessly..... Minding yourself is a lot more important :thnk
alton Posts: 3077
Grungebride, there's a rule of thumb when it comes to pregnancy and childcare books - If it makes you feel bad about yourself in anyway, put it down and find another one that makes you feel good about yourself.
Its Me Posts: 1788
Mine will be in trouble so. Coz I spent the month smoking and drinking coz we were on hols. I think the main thing is to cut out smoking and restrict drinking once you find out IMO but I'm no expert. I'm trying not to think of everything coz I will only wreck my head otherwise