Attack on doctor- whadeyathink?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

nelly Posts: 1875
The doctors in Limerick being stabbed - your thoughts?
willful Posts: 6822
Need more info please!
Wifey-Pooh Posts: 2125
[url:labs970n]http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0118/limerick.html[/url:labs970n]
Senorita Posts: 3413
[quote="willful":sip7mn83]Need more info please![/quote:sip7mn83] Here you go willful, from the RTE website [quote:sip7mn83]Man due in court over hospital stabbing Friday, 18 January 2008 09:16 A man is due before Limerick District court this morning in connection with a knife attack at a psychiatric hospital in the city yesterday afternoon in which two doctors were wounded. Both victims remain in hospital. Psychiatrist Dr Anamath Pullela and his colleague Dr Kathleen Burns a psychologist were both stabbed in an attack by a patient at St Annes psychiatric day hospital in the city at around 3pm yesterday afternoon. AdvertisementDr Pullela was brought initially to the Mid-Western Regional hospital in Limerick where he was treated for multiple stab wounds, but he was moved last night to Cork University hospital where he is still in a serious condition. Dr Burns was also treated in the Mid-Western regional hospital in Limerick and her condition is now comfortable. A man in his 30s was arrested shortly after the incident and questioned at Roxbora garda station about the attack. He will appear at the District court in Limerick in the morning to face charges of assault causing serious harm to the two doctors arising from the incident. [/quote:sip7mn83]
mollyeile Posts: 2486
Shocking - Hopefully he will pull through - sounds like there is a lot pf background to this story which hasn't been given
Was he a day patient?
NowGone Posts: 8042
What do I think? I think it illustrates once again the woejous lack of adequate mental health facilities in Ireland in Ireland
willful Posts: 6822
That's awful :o( Wondered the same myself wifey-pooh. Really wish Limerick wasn't given such a bad name by the media-it's a fab place really :o(
There was a doc on the news last night who was the boss in an A&E department. She got a call one night from her nurses to say that there was a 'very disturbed' man in the emergency room and they couldn't contain him safely. They had to let him back out onto the streets as they hadn't any facilities to look after him. They called the police who then had to try and look after him. She said also that at one time she had to hold someone in the emergency room for three days until a bed could be found for him in an appropriate institute. What NoZilla said is true - woejus.
dreamer Posts: 3941
The perpetrator of yesterday's attack had served a sentence for manslaughter. It certainly does highlight the lack of even "adequate" facilities in this country for mental health patients and the conditions that staff have to work in. My Dad was a psychiatric nurse before he retired and suffered many injuries, from head butts to punches in his time! I hope the doctor pulls though.