Back pain please help

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

survivor Posts: 2507
Girls I'm in agony and nearly in tears sitting at my desk. My back has been hurting for a while now. Its that muscle ache type of pain. Its been really severe the last few days and I thought my trip to pilates last night would fix it. It did not :o( :o( I'll go for a massage tomorrow but need advice on how to relieve the pain even a little now. Is it safe for me to use a hot water bottle on my pain. i definitely need something. :o( :o( :o(
nov08 Posts: 45
hi, I had really bad back pain a few weeks ago, right down low on my right side, and though it would be with me until the birth, but i went to my Physio and he spend an hour working on it, and while it was tender and a little bruised the next day its been perfect ever since, and i was struggling to change positions or move so i would recommend a trip to a good physio. My physio was Ailbe physio in Clane, Co. Kildare. Good luck hope you feel better soon,
pigeonwife Posts: 3789
I have used a hot water bottle - just make sure it's not too hot and wrap it in a towel or something. I find swimming fantastic for my back pain. Also take a couple of paracetemal for relief here and now!
Thanks girls. I was a bit worried about the hot water bottle and whether it was ok to use one. I have one covered in a fluffy outer layer so I'll use that when I get home.
serenity Posts: 3675
Hi Survivor, I feel your pain... I suffered terrible with it and like some of the other gals, had to get physio... Basically I damaged my lumbar muscle. Before I went to the physio I was putting a hot water bottle on it 24/7 - when I finally had to go as the pain was unbearable, in my case, the physio said that the hot water bottle was not fixing the pain but actually making it worse - something to do with the blood vessels and heat. So I had to use an ice pack for 45 mins every night and do my exercises and that was after her doing the physio and having to have that for about 4 sessions. There is nothing worse - but the physio definitely worked for me. She was great... Hope you feel better soon xx
Hugz Posts: 410
Did our antenatal class this wk and the midwife mentioned in Our Lady of Lourdes Drogheda you are entitled to free hospital physio if you get a referral letter from your GP or doc.. Dont know if this applies everywhere
Diva30 Posts: 286
[color=darkblue:1akm1tbl]The Physio sounds like a good idea...while you are at work could you get an ergonomically supported chair with lumbar support that may help make you more comfortable as well and perhaps use a lumber back cushion while seated! Hope you get some comfort soon - bad pain isn't pleasant![/color:1akm1tbl]
marianf Posts: 5845
You can also use Deep Heat cream if those around you can stand the pain. I suffer with my back all the time so not be able to take my medication is making it very tough for me. Midwife said that I can use heat pads and deep heat. You can buy electric heat pads in Argos etc for around €25 which would be handy for work as you could still sit back properly against the seat. Hope you feel better soon.
I'm off to the physiotherapist this afternoon so hopefully I'll come out of there a new girl. Thanks for the replies.
aylala Posts: 3673
Just thinking has you job done a risk assessment on you? Min did and I got a back support or my chair? Have you a HR dept to ask