Christmas Markets (early I know!!!)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mrswifey09 Posts: 1300
Hi Ladies Looking up ideas for my dh 30th Birthday present and thinking either Disneyland Paris or a trip to a Christmas Market in Europe - So the poll has the "top ten" according to the above link... so just wondering if any of you guys have been to any and how wud u rate them!? who'd u book it through?! and how many nights woud be best?! Thanks...and sorry bout a Christmas post already!! :-8
luckyladee Posts: 2550
Cant believe Frankfurt isnt on the list. A group of us have been going every year for the last while now - we've been to Brussels, Copenhagen, Frankfurt and Oslo. Frankfurt was by far and away my favourite - generally just bigger and with more choice. While brussels was overall not the best - it did have a good big ice skating rink at it which was a bit of craic. To be honest the important bits (did somebody mention gluhwein??) will be at all of them - but I'd recommend Frankfurt! HTH
Thanks for that Luckyladee..... I just took th list from that website I mentioned...I'll look up frankfort now...so confused...and it all seems quite expensive!! am I better booking a package and with who or booking own flights and accommodation?! Thanks!
katiemomma Posts: 2690
Disneyland!!! or else Berlin. My father was working there last year and he said the christmas markets were unreal there. We got lots of presents and they were all lovely. ETA There is one bis one in the city centre and then there is one outside of berlin. I am sure you could try booking things seperately yourself. flights from dublin to berlin and a nice hotel.
Aw Katiemomma I would pick Disneyland but my bil made a good point this evening when I was asking his opinion...I wont really go on any scary rides, and DH wud feel bad leaving me behind waiting round while he goes on them (on his own - a bit boring) where at th christmas markets - he is a complete christmas fanatic....so I know he will LOVE it!! just need to decide where...looking up frankffort and Berlin now, and prices to there!! Thanks! X
pinkpeonies Posts: 462
Sorry can't help I have never been to a Christmas market, just wondering what kind of things you buy at them?
From what I have read online its all about the atmosphere...nice food, mulled wine and buying "stocking fillers" christmas tree decorations, small gifts, local crafts etc!
[quote="luckyladee":2tpja9ph]Cant believe Frankfurt isnt on the list. - but I'd recommend Frankfurt! HTH[/quote:2tpja9ph] do u mind me asking what hotel u stayed in in Frankfurt?! Thanks!
Chocolatebuttons Posts: 369
We were in Berlin last Christmas and I'm never going to another Christmas market ever again. Talk about boring, fine for a couple of hours maybe but after that you've seen pretty much everything. Every 4th stall are selling the same thing and unless you love gluhwein(yuk) I don't see the point. Freezing cold too, I know I sound like a right grinch. On the other hand I have also been to Disneyland and would go back in a heart beat. O:o) I love all that kinda stuff
LuckyYear2013 Posts: 3972
Anyone know if the Christmas Market will be back in Galway again this year?