Coming off Depo Proven

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ghostchild2 Posts: 6237
Hey guys I've been on the depo proven for almost 6 years now. I used to be really skinny and could lose weight quite easily before I went it on. Since going on it my weight has kept creeping up and up. I tried dieting before and went 3 months where I didn't eat any sweet-things, biscuits etc, reduced my food portions and started walking but after 3 months there was no change. I was gutted :o( :o( Anyway I'm planning on coming off the depo in 3 weeks and I'm just wondering if anyone found themselves in the same situation and did you manage to lose weight when you came off it?
mrsmcduck Posts: 300
Sorry don't know what depo proven is????
[quote="mrsmcduck":12bh58ab]Sorry don't know what depo proven is????[/quote:12bh58ab] It's a contraceptive you can get in the form of an injection. You get it every 12 weeks.
Purple Tulip Posts: 3442
i was on it for years...but i never noticed an effect on my weight :wv
[quote="Purple Tulip":3gatsp3f]i was on it for years...but i never noticed an effect on my weight :wv[/quote:3gatsp3f] You're lucky then. Weight gain is one of the side of effects than some people can get. I've heard about others who gain weight because of it but don't know any body who has come off to find out if they were able to loose it afterwards.
funkyfish Posts: 7626
i was on it for years too never gained any weight either!
Mrs..D Posts: 1741
I was on it for about 3 yrs and didn't have weight problem, actually lost weight just before I came off it.. My cousin was on it and did have trouble losing weight and when she switched back to normal pill she lost 2 st with a lot of excercise and healthy eating. It took her a while but she said she would never go back to depo again...
Thanks Mrs..D, I have no problem putting in the effort if I know I will get results. It was the fact I tried so hard before and lost nothing that was really disheartening and fustrating O:| O:| O:|
Sparkle Finger Posts: 151
I used to be on this...doctors in the UK aren't giving it any more as its been found to cause brittle bones
primrosepink Posts: 88
I was on it for a year and it played havoc with my body. I gained a stone in weight (my diet was excatly the same as it had been before I was on it)and my skin flared up really badly. I came off it a good year and half ago and only now is my weight back to normal!! It was a total nightmare.