Menu

Crazy Prices in Shops

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Lorna Doone Posts: 737
I went into Spar today to buy my Friday nite treat. A Magnum ice cream, with the day that was in it. When the guy asked me for 2.40 euro, we exchanged a look of disbelief. I said I'd changed my mind & he said he didn't blame me. So I went across the street to Tesco, where I picked up three Magnums for 1.79 euro! Now I've been living in the city centre for seven years & I know prices are a bit silly in Dublin, but that is taking the Michael. Has anyone else noticed Celtic Tiger prices creeping back in?
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I was in the shop earlier getting some coke to go with the lovely vodka I'm having now and was going to get some biccies while I was at it. Lovely mcvities caramel chocolate digestives, a normal pack size and they were 4.39!! I'm not sure of the exact price they normally are but I was thinking maybe 3 quid?
Missclarebear2013 Posts: 353
I have noticed that the smaller shop's are charging mad money for the ice cream's, crisps and handy items people tend to grab while passing so they can cut the price on the essential items like toilet roll's , bread, milk and so on to compete with the larger supermarkets, with out the essential being cut they would draw no one inside the doors really I think
macattack Posts: 1617
That's some crazy pricing there alright. I got a pack of 10 Magnums for £3.99 last night. I feel like I've beaten the system.
Reston Posts: 1321
It's not only in local shops. We've actually discovered that it's cheaper for us to shop in Superquinn than in Tesco and that includes the diesel to drive from Celbridge to Lucan to the nearest one. The fruit and vegetables are much nicer and cheaper too.
I have found butchers cheaper for meats and veg, cheaper than the German cheap supermarkets, from a new butchers I discovered a few weeks back I get meat & most my veg for my family of four for the week for E33 :) he is Ennis Co Clare based Don Gallery on Francis Street
MadWoman2013 Posts: 528
I hear you!! I was at a [email protected] salad bar recently and got a modest sized salad, brought it to the till where they weighed it and was charged €6.30! For a few leaves and some pasta! And don't even start me on bars. I met a friend recently and ordered a wine, a short and a mixer and was charged 18.50... for two drinks!! :eek
[quote="MadWoman2013":hito6xng]I hear you!! I was at a [email protected] salad bar recently and got a modest sized salad, brought it to the till where they weighed it and was charged €6.30! For a few leaves and some pasta! And don't even start me on bars. I met a friend recently and ordered a wine, a short and a mixer and was charged 18.50... for two drinks!! :eek[/quote:hito6xng] over 6 euro for a little salad from the deli!! O:| That is crazy. as for 18.50 for two drinks is it any wonder why people are staying home and calling into friends for drinks these day's
Anne Cordelia Shirley Posts: 4731
I was at a wedding recently and people were shocked at the bar prices, like nearly 9euro for a vodka and coke. Obviously as I'm currently gestating a precious baby I wasn't partaking but it was a pretty big talking point.
[quote="Anne Cordelia Shirley":1xww7tf2]I was at a wedding recently and people were shocked at the bar prices, like nearly 9euro for a vodka and coke. Obviously as I'm currently gestating a precious baby I wasn't partaking but it was a pretty big talking point.[/quote:1xww7tf2] It is prices like these that have people bringing in little bottle of vodka in their hand bags, that is just not right, a dash of coke could come from large bottle and a single vodka and coke would then be about 5-6 euro