Dead arm-Carpal tunnel Syndrome?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

ScissorsGirl Posts: 785
Ive got a dead left arm this is the 2nd day...i thought that maybe i had just slept wrong on it the other night but when i got up today its still dead... Not too sore or anything but its constantly there...like i have been leaning on it wrong for long time and its gone dead but its constant...moving it around dosent help...So i went to Dr Goolge and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome keeps popping up... Mentions that its quite commen in pregnany and will go after the birth :eek Im a Hairdresser so work with my hands most days...Its not too bad at moment and when im busy i can distract me but i was wondering if anyone has ever had it and can it get worse? As it wil interfere with my job if it gets worse and i need to work as long as possible... Im in the Docs for an Anti Natal app on Fri and will say it to the nurse then anyway... Hopefully its gone by then and its really just a dead arm
Delphinium Posts: 3027
Sounds like just a dead arm to me. Although pregnancy might be contributing so it's worth asking when you are at the doctors. I have CTS with years and it doesn't present in the arms, it's in the hands. The Carpal Tunnel is the tube in your wrist that carries all the nerves from your fingers up your arm. When the tunnel gets inflamed, it constricts the nerves to the fingers and makes them go dead - usually the thumb, forefinger and middle finger. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome doesn't usually affect the whole arm. I find it is worst in the mornings. At its worst I have been unable to do up buttons and the likes. Wearing a wrist splint over night really helps alleviate the symptoms and reduce inflammation and I do this if ever it gets really bad. I don't think it is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome exactly that you have, but it does sound very similar in that it may be nerve trapped someplace else - just not in the actual carpal tunnel. Definitely mention it at your appointment though.
ScissorsGirl Posts: 785
Thanks hun Fecking Google and self diagnosis again :o0 keeps popping up on all the pregnancy forums when i google dead arm ... Anyway Thanks for replying..sorry u actually Have CTS i only have a dead arm for 2 days and its bugging the life out of me...i shouldnt complain too much!! I will mention it to the nurse on Fri if its still there tho x
Delphinium Posts: 3027
Ah, don't be sorry at all! It's very manageable once you know what aggravates or relieves it. It's hereditary in my case due to skinny wrists.... wish the rest of my arm was that delicate! :o0 It does sound like a trapped nerve of some description though and probably nothing that can't be fixed or won't remedy itself.