Did anyone attend a La Leche Meeting before baby was born?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

marianf Posts: 5845
Just wondering if anyone attended one and at what stage of their pregnancy? Many thanks :thnk
Daff Posts: 11644
Ooh I'd like to know this too - and do you have to pay? thanks.
GentleBirth Posts: 750
I haven't been yet but I intend to - even through I BF Jack for 3 months it was in the US and I want to line up lots of local support for myself! Generally LLL meetings are free, Cuidiu run breastfeeding coffee mornings too. It's such a great opportunity to get a really up close and personal look at what a good latch looks like, get used to the different positions and get tons of tips and tricks. The mums who go to these meetings regularly are more than happy for you to have a good gander and see how it's done - especially if you don't have friends/family who have breastfed. :) You really can't beat these local meetings for support when getting started breastfeeding or when you're weaning. When you're home with a new baby and can just pick up the phone and ask a local bfing mum to stop in and make sure you're doing it right can be a godsend! Tracy
silíní Posts: 4219
I went to la leche meetings every month when bfeeding LO. Every week there were pregnant women there, usually anytime after 30 weeks or so. ITs a great idea to go before hand as then it will be easier to go after baby arrives as you've met them etc. You can also ask any questions and its really motivating to see other mums feeding!! Going to go along again this time in the last month or two before baby arrives to refresh myself!!!!
There's none near me at all :( I'm in Firhouse/Knocklyon area? Nearest one seems to be Lucan?
lollyfp Posts: 2441
Hi girls, I actually went to one in Rathgar last week and it was great. A real mix of women - some older and many there with their children and babies (some 6 months, one 13 months), some breastfeeding, so it was good to even see how they do it and how often the babies seem to feed even within 2 hours!!!! :eek The babies were so adorable - I can't wait!!!!! I was the only pregnant woman there but that's rare I think as 2 women in the group had just given birth and were not there. The meeting lasted about 2 hours and they had tea, coffee and biscuits/cakes at the end of it. The meeting was free technically but they ask for a 4 euro donation per meeting or 2 euro if you're a La Leche member. I definitely think it's good to go before you give birth as I was able to ask loads of questions and learned a lot from the women there - good luck!! :wv
marianf Posts: 5845
Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated. [quote="daffodil bride":24qtw0cs]There's none near me at all :( I'm in Firhouse/Knocklyon area? Nearest one seems to be Lucan?[/quote:24qtw0cs] :o0 :o0 Well daffodil girl, there is no doubting you are a city chick :o0
[quote="marianf":3l7qguh0]Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated. [quote="daffodil bride":3l7qguh0]There's none near me at all :( I'm in Firhouse/Knocklyon area? Nearest one seems to be Lucan?[/quote:3l7qguh0] :o0 :o0 Well daffodil girl, there is no doubting you are a city chick :o0[/quote:3l7qguh0] I mean as in Lucan is 30 mins away depending on traffic - could be an hour with the m50 some days O:| thought there might have been one out this way, Sandyford/Stillorgan area even?
mrsb09 Posts: 1292
i am 30 weeks now and have just started wondering yhe same. im thinking of popping along to the next local just to break the ice as i def intend attending classed afterwards, and also at least you have some point of contact if things are stressful or not going to well in the first few days...
Buzzo Posts: 1055
daffodil bride the portobello LLL meet in Rathgar - that might be handier? I'm in D12, and i'm going to go to the next one hopefully (jan 13th). I meant to go this month, but i kinda forgot. So i'll be there as a brand new nervous mother on jan 13th fingers crossed.