DJ only and kicking out time

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

loulou08 Posts: 57
I would like to know what people think of this plan please We are having a small wedding of about 80 and more than happy with that. We looked into a band and could not belive they cost around 1500euro. We are not bothered about all the old irish dances as there will be alot of English there, so we are happy with a DJ. I am think of asking him to play from 20.30 untill 00.30. We are deff getting a bar extension until 2, i think it is ok for people to chill out and chat for the last hour or do you think we should have music until 2. so are we weird just having a DJ? and what time do you think he should stop? Comments please
ela28 Posts: 2552
[quote="loulou08":un8j2spn]I would like to know what people think of this plan please We are having a small wedding of about 80 and more than happy with that. We looked into a band and could not belive they cost around 1500euro. We are not bothered about all the old irish dances as there will be alot of English there, so we are happy with a DJ. I am think of asking him to play from 20.30 untill 00.30. We are deff getting a bar extension until 2, i think it is ok for people to chill out and chat for the last hour or do you think we should have music until 2. so are we weird just having a DJ? and what time do you think he should stop? Comments please[/quote:un8j2spn] I have to say I love a good band they seem to have a knack of getting the crowd going and it's entertaining to watch,they sing the songs just as good as or even better than the original artists in some cases,in saying that I don't think you're mad not having one and you're right they are quite expensive,I'm sure it will still be a great day and night,personally even though I like listening to a great band I wouldn't mind either way if I was at a wedding and there was a d.j or a d.j and a band,I'm sure people would be quite happy with a d.j for the night,as for what time he should play until I would say about 1.30 or 2 o clock,as you said your bar is open until 2 so people will probably be sitting there until about 3,I think 12.30pm is a bit early to be knocking the music off if people still have another 2 hours or more of sitting around,anyway that's my 2 cents worth hth :wv
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
Is there much of a price difference in having the DJ till 12.30 and closing? To be honest I think that when the music stops people will start heading off home/to be etc so paying for the bar extension might end up being a waste of money. Is your wedding in a hotel? If your music is stopping at 12.30 then you can all head to the residents bar anyway? Imo I think the DJ should play until the bar closes.
fifibelle Posts: 4447
We had DJ only and he played all day, light music during meal, and they played until closing. Worked out perfectly without the band. IMO get him to play until the end! :wv
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
We are having dj only and having him from 7.30pm until 11.30pm. Bar closes then so music must stop then as well. Must be out of the ballroom either at midnight or 12.30am. we will then hit the residents bar. I think it is fine chatting after the dj stops. People will do it anyway.
rsom Posts: 96
We are having a dj only too. Had planned on booking him from 8-1 but might arrange for him to start earlier. How do you choose a dj, have spoken to lots and they all sound fine but choosing one is so hard. Am afraid to get it wrong, then the whole evening is a mess...
fifibelle Posts: 4447
We had Ruairi from Irish Wedding DJ's he was perfect! He entertained the kids during the meal by letting them play on the dancefloor and he let them sing nursery rhymes into the microphone but so quietly that none of the other guests knew this was going on. Then in the evening he got the music just right for the crowd and the dance floor was packed all night!
loulou08 Posts: 57
Thank very much for the feedback I think i will ask the DJ to play until the end, i am not sure about the cost but it is not much different. We selected this DJ as he is local and everyone around recommended him, said he is good craic and will play anything. I would ask local people for advice they know who is good. I know him and he is lovely. I must check with the venue if there is a residents bar, we are paying for the extension until 2 but i have a feeling it closes after that. I think we will be at the venue around 15.30 what time should we ask thye DJ to start. It is a small wedding of 80. I want to have a relaxed kinda day i dont mind if people are chilling out chatting for an hour or so after dinner befor the music starts. What do you think
ScarlettoHara Posts: 8442
What time is your dinner at? I would imagine him starting at 8.30 is time enough. People dont expect the music to start straight away after the food your right there :wv
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
We have our meal timed for 5pm and dj for 7.30pm as we are finishing at 11.30pm. 2.5 hours should be enough for our 11 or so guests. Hopefully we will ensure short speeches.